Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sheila's Wheels

(3 Posts)
zsazsa613 Fri 08-Jan-16 12:20:56

Sheila's Wheels will only give me the 4 year No Claims Bonus I started with, even though I paid for it to be protected. They are misrepresenting what 'protection' actually means, by not making it abundantly clear that the 'protection' only means that you stay where you are and do not advance with your No Claims.
I am disgusted with the way Sheila's Wheels have conducted themselves, from failing to remind me of their T&Cs that I had to phone again in a week's time to confirm my instructions to insure another vehicle, leaving me driving without insurance, to failing to tie up a matter of sliding on ice in our car park where the factor is responsible for the communal areas including garden and car park and holding me responsible, to their attempts to triple my insurance from £300 to nearly £900 due to me making a claim, supposedly covered by full insurance and no claims protection.
'Insurance Designed with Women in Mind' ? I don't think so.

BackforGood Sat 09-Jan-16 01:11:49

I might be confused as the post seems to be written as if we know all the background to all the different parts of what you are talking about,

but

if I understand correctly, you've made a claim and are complaining you've not 'gained' more 'No Claims' from them ? confused

HellesBelles01 Sat 09-Jan-16 01:37:17

Zsazsa, insurance professional here. I'll try to answer each of your questions:
Sheila's Wheels will only give me the 4 year No Claims Bonus I started with, even though I paid for it to be protected. They are misrepresenting what 'protection' actually means, by not making it abundantly clear that the 'protection' only means that you stay where you are and do not advance with your No Claims

Most insurance companies offer a maximum discount for 4 or 5 years no claims. It varies slightly for each company. So you might have 8 years without a claim, but the insurer's biggest discount will for be 4/5 years. After that, there is no additional discount for having more years claim free (this id because most insurers do not make any money from personal act insurance, in fact they lose money).

I am disgusted with the way Sheila's Wheels have conducted themselves, from failing to remind me of their T&Cs that I had to phone again in a week's time to confirm my instructions to insure another vehicle, leaving me driving without insurance

Did you read the policy wording? At present, it's down to the policyholder to read the terms and conditions to make sure they are correct. Once the new insurance act becomes law in August 2016, there will be less emphasis on his, but if there Is a clear paper trail or record that you advised your insurer of this new additional vehicle, then you should be covered.

Later this to their attempts to triple my insurance from £300 to nearly £900 due to me making a claim, supposedly covered by full insurance and no claims protection.

How many years protected no claims discount did you have? Your own claims record doesn't necessarily have any bearing on your premium; its frequently due to
the overall cost insurers litigating claims where liability is disputed. Have you tried any comparison websites? There is no reward for being loyal, I would strongly recommend you get as many quotes as possible and take the best deal.

'Insurance Designed with Women in Mind' ? I don't think so

You are quite right. It's just a marketing ploy. Ignore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now