Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit card statement: proof of purchase?

(9 Posts)
AlbusPercival Wed 30-Dec-15 18:33:36

Does anyone know definitively if a credit card statement should be accepted by a store as proof of purchase?

I need to return a faulty item, but no longer have the receipt. Store won't accept the credit card statement despite it being for the exact amount the item cost on the day.

Trading standards and cab, both say credit card statement is proof of purchase but not much more.

Can anyone advise?

GasLIghtShining Wed 30-Dec-15 21:15:58

Is is a high street store? I returned something to Next with a copy of my bank statement and they were fine. It was only for £20 so not sure whether they couldn't be bothered to argue

I also had a problem with M & S several years ago regarding non delivery and found that to keep perservering with the 'trading standard tell me' line eventually worked

I can't quote any legal references though

Rockchick1984 Wed 30-Dec-15 21:35:00

How long ago was it purchased? Is it a large company or an independent retailer?

AlbusPercival Wed 30-Dec-15 21:39:27

Huge high street retailer. Cost just short of £30 bought just over a month ago but only just failed. IS an electrical item

LIZS Wed 30-Dec-15 21:44:51

For faulty you don't need proof of purchase but legally a cc statement suffices. Is it a brand other retailers stock perhaps? Do you have any packaging which may have a barcode?

Rockchick1984 Wed 30-Dec-15 21:54:31

They should be able to track through their system to check what was purchased using that card on that day, so yes they should accept it.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 30-Dec-15 21:59:53

I took something back to asda using my bank statement, she looked on the computer and found the corresponding item.

Laquila Wed 30-Dec-15 22:03:29

For any return, including an alleged fault, you need proof of purchase. Otherwise the retailer has no proof that you didn't buy it third-hand off eBay two years ago.

IIRC the Sale of Goods Act (or the more recent update) says that a credit card or bank statement is acceptable as proof of purchase. However I'm afraid I don't know what the next step would be, in practice, if a retailer refused to accept this.

Rockchick1984 Wed 30-Dec-15 22:30:04

Contact their head office as a next step, if no luck then it would probably be small claims court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now