Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax return stress

(6 Posts)
LovelyBath Wed 23-Dec-15 12:11:41

So today I get told there's some problem with my DH's tax return. Thought it was fine, the accountant has sorted it etc, then now there are some errors or something.

Not sure where to go next as DH won't talk more about it as he says it's Christmas and we can't do anything about it just now.

Really scared they'll claim back lots of tax then take back all our tax credits or something.

Anyone know what to do next? Feel a bit cross as aren't the accountants supposed to pick up these things? Argh last thing we need at Christmas...

19lottie82 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:49:35

As you prob expect, no one on here can advise you. You need to speak to your DH. Hope you get it all sorted!

DeoGratias Thu 24-Dec-15 19:21:38

So you have had a letter from HMRC asking some questions about the information on the tax return?

tribpot Thu 24-Dec-15 19:35:45

I think your DH is right, there is no point stressing about it over Christmas. He should get on to his accountant before New Year and if no joy, straight away on 2nd Jan. There's still a month to go before the filing deadline so this isn't a disaster. I would assume it's more likely to be a minor change rather than something major, esp as you've been using an accountant and not DIYing. Is it the first year your DH has filed a return? I assume if he has untaxed income he's been putting aside tax all year.

This really isn't worth spoiling Christmas over, try to put it out of your mind til Tuesday next week when businesses re-open.

LovelyBath Tue 29-Dec-15 03:55:19

Hi thanks for the replies. No, he's done tax returns in the past. Still haven't spoken about it yet but will do so. Stressing out that it might mess up our tax credits and they might want that back too. But I guess no point worrying till we know what it's about.

Ta1kinPeece Thu 31-Dec-15 15:55:35

Before either of you have a drink tonight, make sure all of the tax paperwork is neatly in date order - newest on top - ready to speak to the Accountant on Monday morning.

THere's still a decent amount of time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now