Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.
Advice needed...on to take a pay cut for a fab job (if i get it) or stay put where its safe but full on(12 Posts)
Put this originally employment issues but it isn't really an employment issue....
The jist of the situation is this...
Im a lone parent Nurse and work full time, for a company rather than the NHS. I earn £26000, am provided with a car (don't pay insurance, mot, repairs etc), get a bonus of £750 a year and paid £5 a day for dinner. The £26000 pays the bills...just. The £5 a day dinner and 750 bonus...is put away for my 2x dteen's (13 and 14) birthday, Christmas, haircuts, house insurance and any other one off things that crop up.
It is a full on job where I train other nurses and do other things like that and have a large caseload ...meaning I tend to work many evenings too...I do this in hope of a promotion (so can get paid more, money is tight) however there isnt much movement in the company.
I also work 2-3 sat or suns a month doing agency work. This pays for clothing for dteens and the rest allows me to put money away for a house deposit. I rent and so far we have had to move more than I would like.
Ive been asked to apply for a nursing job back in the NHS as a band 6 specialist nurse. Applied and have an interview. I feel so flattered and honoured and would love the chance to do this job...I would beable to do my masters and theres lots of scope and I would enjoy this speciality and could give a lot to it!.
As a lone parent, Im paranoid about finances (have no family to help us out if we get stuck)...don't want to put my dteens in a worse situation.
Going back into the nhs will mean I need to buy / lease a car, no bonus and no £5 day (no birthday, Christmas). Monthly outgoings will go up by a few hundred pound. Id still beable to do the agency work also but wouldn't want to rely on this to pay actual bills as there is no guarantee of shifts and the pay is being reduced. Would I still beable to save for a house or do I give up the ghost and accept Im renting forever moving into smaller and smaller homes in worse areas as rent keeps increasing (a tad dramatic but unfortunately its true)
I need to talk about pay but don't know whether to bring it up at interview or leave and wait to hear back if I even get the job and see what they offer and if there is room to increase???? Thought please.
Being out of the NHS Im concerned I'll be offered the base band 6 rate or middle of the road (If I even get the job). I did speak to someone before I applied and they said to just apply and see.
I don't have anyone I can ask and in need of others opinions
I don't work in the NHS but I do work in the public sector (civil service, local govt). The time to bring up the salary would be when/if they offer you the job. Even if they say there is no room for negotiation I would tell them that, even though I'd love to do the job, I couldn't consider taking the role unless they can match your current salary. Negotiation is the norm - wait for them to make you at least 2 offers before you believe it's the best they can do.
In your shoes, no way would I take a pay cut.
When I moved back into the NHS after being out for a while, the person who recruited me (who was up for paying me more than base of band) needed to demonstrate to HR that I'd had X years of experience working in a role which was at the equivalent level of responsibility etc as the band in question, where X is the number of points from the bottom of the band. I started two points off the top of my band (jobs at the next band are like hens' teeth, but that's another thread!). So, if you can convince someone that your current job is equivalent to band 6 and you've been doing it for several years, then there might be scope to start you nearer the top.
have you had a good look at outgoings? If things are so tight that you need to use your bonus to pay for insurance (which as a tenant should not be that pricey) I'd say you can't afford a pay cut.
xmas and birthdays are the obvious slack, no-one will suffer or starve. Kids will possibly be earning in 5 years and you are moving forward towards a house deposit.
Wait to see if you're offered the job and then say that you'd like to be put on at x pointin band 6 scale.
Being a clinical educator is normally band 6 in the nhs, and this sounds like you're current role. So work out how many years you've been doing it and whereabouts that equates to on the pay scale.
Even if they said no, worst case scenario you'd go in at the bottom and have increments every year. Look at the scales and work out what you'd be on after 12 months, it's over 1k increment each year I reckon, sometimes larger jumps up to about 34k.
You might have to tell the teens things will be really tight for a year.
Iiwy I would have a conversation with your existing employer about the options available to you where you are. Is there a chance of promotion of a pay rise and if so, what do you have to do to apply?
Find out before you go for the other interview. It really sounds as if you'd be financially much worse off back in the NHS and the pros of the job wint outweigh that.
I also agree that if you get the NHS job you'll need to negotiate hard.
The hiring manager ought to be able to tell HR they want to pay the top of the pay band as you're an external candidate
Don't take it unless they offer you what you need. Good luck!
Agreed - negotiate when you are offered the job. The paybands are on the RCN website. Work out your equivalent salary and I suspect this will be the top of the payband - then say I would need to be on x point to match my current pay and meet my outgoings. You would still be able to do bank/weekend work. I don't know if you have a pension in your current post or he you have a previous NHS pension - obviously the NHS pension is decent. I'm not sure you can still get lease cars through the NHS.
If you get offered the NHS job, negotiate hard. Also tell your current boss that you're being courted by another employer - they may offer to pay you a bit more, in order to keep you. When you've got both employers' best offers, take it from there.
I just wanted to say that you sound brilliant, working so hard for your family, and I'm sorry that you don't have much in the way of support.
Two quick thoughts. If the NHS job allowed you to do your masters, would the extra qualification allow you to earn more in the longer term? That could make a difference, including to your eventual pension, etc. So a couple of tight years might be worth it? But you'll know best based on your profession.
And second, it might be worth checking if you'd be entitled to any additional tax credits or anything on your NHS salary with two DCs. I've no idea but CAB would be able to advise and I think there are eligibility checker websites.
I really admire you, you sound like a great mum.
If money is tight I would say worry free motoring is a big big bonus.
In your situation and as much as it might gall me I would probably stick with my existing position.
If you got offered the job you can always go back to your current employers and see if you can get more money out of them (tactfully of course).
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.