Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where do I stand?

(6 Posts)
BagpussDearBagpuss Mon 21-Dec-15 19:14:22

I ordered a piece of jewellery for myself which cost £200. When it came it looked nothing like the picture on the internet and certainly not worth what I'd paid for it.
I contacted the seller and they said to send it back for an exchange.

I immediately sent it back by Special Delivery and notified the seller that it was in the post. I checked the Post Office website and they'd tried to deliver it at the start of last week but the seller is saying that they received no card for it.

I've since asked them twice if I can arrange a redelivery but they aren't replying. Do I just give it up as a bad job and accept that although they said I could send it back they didn't really mean it?

usernamesandgingerbreads Mon 21-Dec-15 19:16:01

Did you pay credit card or paypal?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 21-Dec-15 19:20:48

First things first, you declared the value on posting so that it was insured above the standard £50, right?

You have the right to return an online purchase as long as you notify them within 14 days.

Where did you buy it from? Some places are easier to resolve than others, but really, if the jewellery is returned to you because they refuse to collect it, print the online proof to show that you tried, and write to them stating that they can collect it and requesting a refund.

BagpussDearBagpuss Mon 21-Dec-15 19:32:07

Thank-you for your swift replies!

I paid by credit card and I stated that it was jewellery and the value of it when I took it to the Post Office as I anticipated from their emails to me when I asked about an exchange that it wasn't going to be straight forward.

Don't get me wrong they said straight away that I could exchange it but the tone of the emails was not overly friendly. I also notified them that I wanted to exchange it as soon as I received the item.

They are an independent, small jewellery maker from what I can make out on the website.

usernamesandgingerbreads Mon 21-Dec-15 19:35:54

You can claim on your credit card www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-claim-on-my-credit-card-when-something-goes-wrong

BagpussDearBagpuss Mon 21-Dec-15 19:42:49

I assume though that I wouldn't be able to make a claim on my credit card if I'm in possession of the jewellery (because they won't collect it from the Post Office)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now