Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is this a scam? - PPI compensation increased!

(7 Posts)
ThisDoesntHappentoMe Fri 11-Dec-15 12:58:45

A couple of years ago - when DH and I were both unemployed - I submitted a PPI compensation claim directly to the High Street Bank where I've been a customer since I was a teen.

I found the process quite straight forward, and the outcome was a compensation payment that was big enough to tide us over til things improved financially.

I got a letter out of the blue this morning, saying that they have reviewed by previously closed case and they have now increased my settlement and I will recieve further compensation within 28 days.

If this is genuine then we are going to have a very merry christmas indeed - but I'm a sceptic and part of me thinks this is a some form of scam although I'm not sure to what end....

Has this happened to anyone else?

annielostit Fri 11-Dec-15 13:04:21

www.fca.org.uk/news/lloyds-banking-group-fined-for-failing-to-handle-ppi-complaints-fairly

It might be to do with this.
Ring the financial ombudsman to check if its been ordered to review.

ThisDoesntHappentoMe Fri 11-Dec-15 13:11:34

That'll be it, Annie - thank you - Merry Christmas! fgrin

Scraggyspanner Fri 11-Dec-15 13:13:06

This happened to us. We received a letter then the cheque the next week.
Tbh I didn't even consider it might be a scam, I just thought 'a bit of spare money just before Christmas? Yes please, thank you very much'

annielostit Fri 11-Dec-15 15:24:26

I remember my sister saying they were wankers or can I not say rude words. Enjoy your windfallwine

MrsWembley Fri 11-Dec-15 23:11:02

Same here, got the cheque, spent the money!

Grumpyoldblonde Sat 12-Dec-15 11:59:58

Happened to me, I got 1.5k originally, then a surprise, they reviewed our case and we got a further 8k!! was wonderful, no its ngt a scam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now