Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

New relationship but claiming Income Support

(10 Posts)
baby0684 Tue 08-Dec-15 23:05:47

I am a lone parent. And have been claiming income support for a year. My little boy is 3.
I have recently got into a new relationship. I know if they move in that I would have to tell them.
But do I have to say?

Oldsu Tue 08-Dec-15 23:25:06

if by 'them' you mean the DWP then yes you do otherwise you may be committing benefit fraud

Solo Tue 08-Dec-15 23:29:59

Wouldn't it be wiser to just have him/her stop over a few nights a week instead? Just until you know if it's going to work out. I believe you don't need to tell 'them' if it's just 3 nights a week although I'm not sure exactly...
Would it be a bad thing to slow down a bit? How long have you been seeing them? Is it worth losing hb over just yet? Just a few things to consider thanks

BackInTheRealWorld Tue 08-Dec-15 23:31:47

It's a new relationship, slow down. It's far too soon to be thinking about committing benefit fraud!

bloodyteenagers Tue 08-Dec-15 23:49:47

The 3 night rule is bollocks. There is no such thing. You cannot have a partner live part time with you and claim. Think about it.. If it was the case families where one partner worked away during the week would claim, but they don't because they cannot. You are allowed the occasional non regular guest.

Anyway back to op. As soon as you partner starts to stay regularly whether full or part time you have to inform dwp, tax credits and child benefit. Failure to do so could result in a criminal record because it's fraud.

LineyReborn Tue 08-Dec-15 23:55:03

It depends on whether you are living as a household or not. So if a boyfriend is visiting occasionally, but still clearly running his own household (ie paying rent/mortgage and bills to run and live somewhere else, and not renting/sub-letting it out) then he is a visitor not a partner.

Akire Wed 09-Dec-15 00:02:39

It is a very fine line one Friday night stay over turns into two then might as well stay Sunday night and that's half the week. If he is renting and having all bills paid that is one way to show he isn't. But if he's at yours for 2 nights week for dinner then goes home then stays 2 nights at weekend they could argue he is contributing to the household by paying for food and other expenses. Which is fair enough assumption since your income support isn't enough to feed another adult on a regular basis.

baby0684 Wed 09-Dec-15 14:08:52

Not thinking about moving him in.
But was just wondering as we are in a relationship do I need to tell DWP?

He stops 1 night a week, and has his own house. We do stuff during the day with the kids a few days a week, but doesnt stop.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 09-Dec-15 14:36:12

No dwp do not need to be told about a boyfriend which from info given he is. If he was a partner staying regularly contributing to household etc then you would need to tell him.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 09-Dec-15 14:36:27

Them not him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now