Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bailiff charges

(1 Post)
ChutneyRhodrey Sun 06-Dec-15 21:04:58

We are in an arrangement with a debt collector for old council tax. We have paid on time or early every month. This month we weren't able to make the payment until 3 days after it was due (DH did not let me know this, had he I would have borrowed from family). It was the final instalment due on the account. 

The day it was due, DP called to make a payment, they refused to accept it explaining a bailiff had called. Sure enough when I got home there was a letter through the door. Basically it said that we have defaulted on our agreement and haven't paid the final £34 so they have charged us £235. That all of the money had to be paid by 6pm that day or else they will seize goods. 

I've looked on CAB and CAG and as far as I understand they should have sent us an enforcement notice allowing us 7 days to pay up before sending a bailiff, does anyone know if this is right? The letter was not an enforcement notice, it was more a template that the bailiff had written most of and even says "version 1" at the bottom.

How do I resolve this? I can't afford to pay £235 in charges. Prior to this letter all we received from them was the first contact saying we owed money and to call them. 

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now