Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Non-resident SA- need Commercial software? Help!

(13 Posts)
5678group Sun 06-Dec-15 08:10:13

I'm totally confused as to what I need to do for my self assessment now I am non-resident.

I'll try and give as many details as I can

I left the UK in Oct 2013
I completed a self assessment for 2013-2014, all fine.

Need to do one for 2014-2015 but I am now non-resident for that tax year and need to use commercial software.

Any advice on the best/cheapest software? Is it the same/similar to doing it through HMRC?

I only have rental income from our house in the UK for that year, and a late bonus payment from my previous employment (which I have no payslip for).
After loan interest and agency charges we don't make any profit on renting the house so is there anyway round doing a self assessment?

Also is there anything I might have missed in the UK tax system as to declaring myself non-resident?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

ClashCityRocker Sun 06-Dec-15 08:14:14

Are you registered as a non-resident landlord? HMRC usualy want tax deducted from source for rental properties unless you specifically apply to receive it gross.

Goztepe Sun 06-Dec-15 08:23:14

Clash is right.

Some commercial software packages don't have facility for non-res filing. TaxCalc does and I have used them for over a decade. Definitely recommended.

HMRC will consider dropping requirement if you ask and they review it's no longer necessary. I would guess that as a btl landlord, given changing rules on deductibles and allowances, that they will be very reluctant to do that for a while but no harm asking!

5678group Sun 06-Dec-15 08:26:59

Good question...
I think we must have applied to receive it gross, that rings a bell.
There is definitely no tax deducted by the agency from the rent we receive.

Goztepe Sun 06-Dec-15 08:28:25

I'm assuming you filed correct form for declaring you have left UK, by the way, a d that you've familiarised yourself with updated law on what actually constitutes non-residency and when this kicks in?

Make sure you've also claimed personal allowances in full for your split year as you should normally get a refund if you have one.

Also be aware of the tax reporti g requirements in your new country of residence..HMRC connects with a bazillion countries now so if you forget a declaration of income from UK which has a liability in New country, you could be sorely nailed.

Good luck.

ClashCityRocker Sun 06-Dec-15 09:34:48

I've also heard recommendations for TaxCalc, although haven't used it personally. I beleive it's quite user-friendly and one of the more popular programmes.

And yes, as a resident in your new country you may be taxable on your worldwide income so will need to declare your rental income and bonus there too, in case you hadn't thought of that.

5678group Sun 06-Dec-15 10:01:06

Thank you all so much. It's becoming clear as mud ;)

I was only in UK for 81 days last tax year so I qualify as non resident.
I live in Qatar so no tax liabilities here thankfully.
I got a refund in my last self assessment so I think I claimed my personal allowances in full for that year.

ClashCityRocker Sun 06-Dec-15 10:18:46

Sounds like you're on top of it!

specialsubject Sun 06-Dec-15 13:49:55

does HMRC's online system STILL not include the non-resident pages? These are the very people who really need online filing! I had to do my return on paper when I was non-resident, real pain.

there is a form that you send to HMRC to declare non-residency. Yes, you must do and submit a return even with no tax to pay.

taxcalc is supposed to be good and not expensive.

5678group Tue 08-Dec-15 18:31:22

Thanks Special, its crazy isnt it.

Out of interest, those who have been non-resident - what else might have i missed? I still have a bank account (with a credit card) registered to a UK address as its impossible to order online without one - could this trip me up somewhere along the line?

ClashCityRocker Tue 08-Dec-15 19:24:33

Not really, plenty of ex-pats keep a UK bank account. Only thing to remember is that you need to declare any interest on your tax return.

specialsubject Wed 09-Dec-15 18:48:39

with a rental property you certainly should keep that UK account, that's where the rent will go into and it will also make it much easier to do your accounts.

there's no reason not to have this - it doesn't jeopardise your ex-pat status. Physical presence in the country defines that.

you can keep any ISAs you have but can't contribute/open more, ditto any pensions. And of course if you visit the UK you are no more eligible for the NHS than any other visitor.

Zorra Fri 11-Dec-15 15:54:59

I don't think you need the software, you can submit by post. I used to DHL my returns from overseas and it was fine, you just need to do it within date.

As a non-resident landlord, if it's your main and only home you just complete the form before you go and then HMRC send you a letter saying you won't pay any tax on it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: