Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I claim any kind of benefit?

(4 Posts)
phoenix1973 Tue 01-Dec-15 14:58:47

I worked 30 hours per week for the last 3.5 years but left my job in September.
I couldn't go back even if I wanted to because the other office admin are being made redundant this week.
I have lived off my savings since then, bar a minuscule bit of temp work which ended badly because I was unable to do overtime as child was with childminder.
I have had absolutely no success in finding a job which is part time. The only thing I have is a 10 hour a week cleaning job which starts Jan 2016.
I live with my partner who works full time.
Can I claim benefits, if only to keep my national insurance stamp being paid up to date?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 01-Dec-15 15:01:49

You should be able to claim
Jsa contribution based. And child tax credits. Maybe housing benefit?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 01-Dec-15 15:02:51

Housing benefit dependant on partners salary though.

You should definitely be able to claim
JSA for six months as you've made contributions

19lottie82 Tue 01-Dec-15 23:40:01

It depends how much your parter earns?

Even if he is within the threshold for you to make a joint claim, you might struggle, as you have implied that you left your job voluntarily, in September, which means you can't claim most benefits for 6 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: