Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Struggling with childcare costs

(8 Posts)
Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 30-Nov-15 22:07:41

I have been very lucky recently to have found a job after 9 years of being a SAHM. I love it, am very happy and its wonderful to have a hot cup of tea, adult conversation and to feel I am making a difference outside of the home.

My struggle atm is childcare costs. DH has a childcare voucher scheme at work but it is via Sodexo. The preschool only accepts Edenred and somebody else (comp something or other).

Is it worth asking the nursery to register with Sodexo. Is that too much of a faff for them?

We cannot afford childcare costs as things stand and we are going to have to look at begging favours from family/friends and taking DS out of the preschool for everything except his 15 hours.

I wondered if I had missed any other obvious solution?

stoopstofolly Mon 30-Nov-15 22:16:01

That's ridiculous of the nursery. It's one form for them to complete, and then send a copy of their ofstead certificate. It doesn't cost. Ask them to register!

uk.benefits-rewards.sodexo.com/childcare-br-provider/childcare-vouchers

stoopstofolly Mon 30-Nov-15 22:17:36

Oh- and congrats on the job! thanksthanksthanks
I remember the joy of starting work again!

namechangedtoday15 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:21:32

I don't know about that particular brand of vouchers but nurseries (at least the ones I've used) are quite flexible. If you ask whether they'd join, they can only say no. Does your company offer vouchers (or would consider joining a scheme)? You can both be in schemes.

Have many children do you have? Have you asked for a sibling discount?

Can you or your husband work compressed hours (so 5 days' work in 4 longer days) or change hours so one of you works a weekend day (so you dont need childcare for one week day) or an afternoon/ evening so you don't need childcare for the morning?

I think lots of people take a bit of a hit on childcare costs in the early days knowing it's temporary and you're back in the workplace.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 30-Nov-15 23:21:13

Thank you!

I can't get vouchers, has to be dh. Plus, he is very tied to the hours he does (police officer) and cannot change, I work for a charitable foundation and we only do Mon-Fri. Older dc is at school. I'll see if the preschool will apply. They seemed reluctant tbh.

Taking a hit is fine. We genuinely can't afford the fees as they stand.

averythinline Mon 30-Nov-15 23:35:59

your employer could also do the voucher scheme - doesn't have to be a big company-
have you checked to make sure you are not entitled to working tax credits think the threshold is 30k depending on how many children you have..and there is also a childcare element specifically for this reason ..it is worth phoning them to check
childminders are often cheaper than nurseries....and can then cover pickups etc from school nursery/school if that is an option in the future...
hth

confusedandemployed Tue 01-Dec-15 06:45:24

That's mad. My nursery has signed up to every voucher provider there is.

Equally,it is worth raising with your employers. I managed a scheme with 3 employees registered. Even with so few people it was cheaper for the company than paying the full whack employer's NI.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 01-Dec-15 16:46:29

There are no childminders with availability here. There is no breakfast or after school wraparound care so childminders are booked up for years in advance.

I do have a scheme at work but there is no point me signing up for it as my wage is not high enough for it to make it worthwhile.

I am going to have a word with the preschool tomorrow and see if they can sign up. It might just be that all of the other parents use a different voucher scheme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now