Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Housing benefit and joint tenancy with ex

(3 Posts)
jaimelewis Sat 28-Nov-15 12:07:55

Hello, a few day's ago the mother of my four year old son and I had a nasty argument and she left. We've been separated for months. She made it clear she didn't want to talk to me and our son has spent the last few day's at his grandparents (his mum's parents) and I'm going to pick him up tomorrow, presuming they don't give me a problem...

She is responsible for the housing benefit for this flat but it's not been paid for a couple of weeks because she forgot to take information to the council.
Can I claim it myself? I'm currently claiming JSA.

We share a joint shorthold tenancy but she's actually taken the document. She once claimed to have removed me from the tenancy without my permission so I'm a bit worried.

Any advice?

To make matters worse she's got the gas top-up card so it's nice and chilly.

19lottie82 Sun 29-Nov-15 10:56:15

Hi OP I can't offer any specific advice I'm afraid but try giving Shelter a call, and they should be able to advise you. Good luck x

TheLesserSpottedBee Sun 29-Nov-15 14:31:06

Re the gas, contact the supplier and ask what to do for a lost card, you should just be able to go and get a replacement card from wherever you usually buy from but they will need to tell you what wording to use.

I used to work for an electricity company years ago, you just went to the shop, said you needed a replacement card and you put some money on it. So the electricity company has a record of a card with a serial number and an amount of money on it. You then stick it in the meter, it tops up and the card is now "married" to the meter.

When you need more gas and the card goes into the machine at the shop it now tells your supplier that the serial number of the card is now attached to the serial number on your meter, so they money you put on the first time gets recorded on your account with them. Hope that makes sense.

Re the tenancy agreement contact whoever the LL is and check it is in joint names, then go to the benefits office and talk to them about housing benefit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: