Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

child tax credits for self employed

(3 Posts)
Sunbeam18 Wed 25-Nov-15 15:00:57

Hi - I started being self employed in September 2014 so haven't yet filed a tax return. Prior to this I was made redundant while on maternity leave. Where do I begin in terms of finding out about child tax credits and if I'm due any? How do I handle requests about my previous year income if I was not earning for most of it (though now am)?

talkinnpeace Wed 25-Nov-15 17:05:59

You need to work out your net income (ie the taxable part) a per here
If its less than 16 hours worth of NMW you'll be counted as a hobby and expected to seek real work

Babyroobs Wed 25-Nov-15 17:06:44

You give them last years income, then if this years income is going to be significantlylower, you ring them and give an estimate of your earnings for 2015-16. They should then base the award on this years estimate. be aware if yur income exceeds what you estimated you will owe them money back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: