Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Claiming for lost wedding ring on insurance

(6 Posts)
Cape21 Tue 24-Nov-15 10:45:57

Can you share advice? I lost my wedding ring gardening. Have looked for a week. Think it came off near our small stream. It is insured under contents but have not been to file lost property report or anything yet. Appreciate hearing your stories as I have seen some reports on companies not paying out if lost on your property as technically it is just mislaid. Thanks

specialsubject Tue 24-Nov-15 11:36:06

why not just contact your insurers and find out? Do you have cover for this kind of eventuality?

MiniCooperLover Tue 24-Nov-15 11:53:14

A friend had a similar issue with her engagement ring, they hired a metal detector to try and find it but couldn't. Their insurance company argued the garden didn't constitute part of the home or contents but eventually they paid up the full cost of having a new ring made.

Cape21 Tue 24-Nov-15 11:58:02

Thanks. We have a small metal detector which we used to see if we could trace it.

Cape21 Tue 24-Nov-15 20:13:38

Hi special subject, thanks for posting. I was wanting to hear some other experiences about claims for wedding rings. Some of the earlier posts I read on engagement rings claims were interesting. One post said that it could be counted as mislaid, when they challenged the decision, it rested in their description and now they phrased the loss. So I thought hearing from others would help. I know I will never get the true value back. Even now am still rubbing the finger feeling the loss.

specialsubject Tue 24-Nov-15 21:54:03

recognise you can't replace the sentimental value - all you can do is remind yourself that it is only a ring. Other's experiences don't really help as it depends on your policy, but if you lost the item then that is why you insure. Don't be afraid to argue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now