Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits

(4 Posts)
BooseysMom Thu 19-Nov-15 09:23:40

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me with regard to tax credits and childcare. I have started working part-time and my DS is at a pre-school. The hours I work are later in the day when my DH looks after him and I go to work. We pay £86 p/m to the pre-school as my DS is only 2 and we don't qualify for help. But as I have started working, does anyone know if I can claim some of the pre-school fees back?
Thanks for any help given.

Babyroobs Thu 19-Nov-15 12:23:35

Yes I think you can claim moey for childcare even if it doesn'tfall when you are actually working. I don't think that they check up that the hours you work coincide with the pe -school times. When my dc's were little I worked nights ( dh looked after them overnight) and they went to the childminder for a few hours in the morning whilst I slept and we claimed help with childminders fees. Not quite the same as your situation but I don't think they check up.As long as you both work 16+ hours a week you should get help if your income is low eough. It does seem odd that you can claim for childcae you don't actually need but I think it is just one of those loopholes, like still being able to claim childcare costs even when you are on mat leave and don't need the childcare.

Babyroobs Thu 19-Nov-15 12:25:22

Just to add, I'm sure one day soon they will clamp down on these loopholes, as the Government seem to be scrutinizing every other area of benefits, and desperately trying to make cuts and save money.

BooseysMom Mon 23-Nov-15 21:25:34

Hi Babyroobs
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay. I forget sometimes to check up on things I post! This is very helpful thanks. I'll check it out. Like you say, the government will probably realise it is something they could save money on! But no harm trying to claim it now!
Thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now