Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you think this is extravagant?

(26 Posts)
cleoteacher Sat 14-Nov-15 10:38:00

I ve not been very organised with Christmas this year and haven't managed to spread the cost over 4/5 months like I normally do. So I am going to have to try and spread it over 2 months instead.

We are ok money wise but I prefer not to get into debt over Xmas do try and stick to £30-£40 for people. To add to the financial pressure at this time of year, which makes me feel even sillier, we have several birthdays in nov/dec too. We have my sisters, my husbands, my mums and my sons all within a month of Xmas.

Anyway, I have a 9 month old and wasn't sure what to get her as she's dc2 so we have everything really. As a cheap alternative I decided to get clothes as she's due to get the next size anyway. I got carried away and spent £108!

I am thinking I should take some back as originally I was only going to spend £45/£50. This is way more, however I feel I would be buying them anyway as she will need them but that is stuff which will only last 3/4 months! I didn't go to all the really expensive shops some are from next and zara and others from h&m.

Was this too extravagant?

annandale Sat 14-Nov-15 10:42:17

Yes. I'd take them all back tbh. For a second baby surely you have everything?? And wrapping up a forgotten toy would be fine for a baby's Christmas present.

It was only when I stopped thinking that some categories of spending 'didnt count' that I got a handle on money. You are already struggling. You need to avoid spending to manage anxiety.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 14-Nov-15 10:46:02

It's not extravagant in my opinion.

Your husband would be a better person to ask than a bunch of random internet people though, only you and him know your financial situation.

cleoteacher Sat 14-Nov-15 10:53:02

Dc1 is a boy and dc2 a girl so can't pass clothes down. Yes , can ask dh but he won't really care, he let's me deal with all the money and isn't bothered.

Yes , was going to wrap a toy up but then would have to buy clothes for her anyway so thought might as well make this Xmas present. Can't work out if saving money this way or not. To put it in context I got quite a lot of stuff. 1 skirt, I hoodie, 4 pairs of tights, 2 cardigans, 6 vests , 2 dresses, 2 tops. So I would be buying this anyway but I guess not in one big chunk.

specialsubject Sat 14-Nov-15 12:05:06

take it all back. She can wear boys clothes. She is 9 months old and has no consciousness beyond the need for food, warmth, a clean nappy and love.

all but one of those cost money. You urgently need to stop buying presents for adults (in both directions of course). £30 each for all those people???? What savings do you have? How stuffed are you if someone loses a job?

Thumbcat Sat 14-Nov-15 12:09:45

Yes I'd take them all back and put her in DC1's clothes. And if you must buy for other adults I'd be aiming for something around the £5 mark, £10 at the absolute most.

KipperTheFish Sat 14-Nov-15 12:17:46

Well I think your budget for adults is quite extravagant, but I don't think you've spent a lot on your dd's clothes, so I guess we all have different ideas about presents / clothes.

We do a secret Santa for adults in our family, with a limit of £20. It works brilliantly. They aren't meant to be funny presents (like a work secret Santa), just that adults don't need a present from every other adult, and you often get things you don't really want, and it's stressful buying for everyone so just buying one present works is a dream!

On the other hand, I wouldn't think twice about spending what you have on clothes, but if it was over my budget I would take some things beak, wrap up the rest and buy the other things she needs in the sales.

I

GreenSand Sat 14-Nov-15 12:21:51

I'd reuse the vests from your other child. No one can see what is underneath the clothes.
Use the tights now, or in a stocking, if you do them.
The rest isn't that much. If you can afford it, what the problem. If you can't, take back the stuff that is least likely to be used, and go sale shopping (or use the other half for the first Birthday in Jan?)

Whatabout Sat 14-Nov-15 12:22:16

Take it all back and buy iT again in the sales! If you paid full price for everything then that's not great, wait for offers. Also for that age I buy everything from supermarkets, with them growing so fast there is no point. The Tu 20% off event and the next sale does me. I buy in sales a year in advance. Also look on Facebook groups and eBay for bundles, well worth it.

I also think your present budget if way over. Get on the Christmas bargain thread and start saving.

Ripeningapples Sat 14-Nov-15 12:25:16

Your skint. You need to cut down on the adult presents. Your dh can have a little token. I'm not sure about the clothes. She probably needs a couple of nice things but my DD lived in DS's stuff until she was turned two. I just bought her pink socks and the odd girly thing. We weren't skint either.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Sat 14-Nov-15 12:26:03

What does it matter if anyone here thinks it extravagant? Can you afford it and do you want them?
Why are people telling you you need to stop buying for adults....its your money, its your family, do what you bloody well like.

ProjectPerfect Sat 14-Nov-15 12:26:06

In the nicest possible way it's a totally pointless question isn't it?

For every person who thinks £108 on clothes is extravagant there'll be someone who thinks it isn't.

I would spend that on clothes for my DC outside of Christmas without thinking twice. If you can afford it then there is really no issue.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Sat 14-Nov-15 12:27:46

Op doesn't say she is skint, just the opposite, she says they are OK for money. You're projecting.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 14-Nov-15 12:32:55

That's a lot of money for those clothes. I would take it back and hit Primark instead, you could get double the amount of clothes for half the price.

LynetteScavo Sat 14-Nov-15 12:49:44

I don't think it's extravagant, but I would have waited until the sales to buy clothes and got one cheaper but lovely present for DD to open at Christmas.

Drquin Sat 14-Nov-15 13:15:21

Whether it's extravagant or not is relative.
Some folk would think / need to think buying anything more than one item from Poundland is extravagant.
Others will think £108 is about average Christmas spend per child.
Others will say it's nothing, and would spend a shed-load more.

If you're doing "ok" money-wise, you probably should just keep the clothes, enjoy them and enjoy Christmas.
If you trying to work out how to feed your kids this week, then I'd be suggesting returning stuff.

Manopaws Sun 15-Nov-15 16:24:27

Car boot sales are great just get the presents from there you can always find unused gift packs on there or give presents you have been given and haven't used just make sure you don't give them to the same people that gave them to you

milaforni Sun 15-Nov-15 16:47:33

i think you answered your own question when you mentioned how short a time she will be able to use them. I loved dressing my girls and sometimes went a bit nuts. The thing is, it only will get worse if you start that habit now. Perhaps you should take a few things back and then shop during after Xmas sales. Sales are your friend as you can get more for your money.
I always buy adults gifts. Do we ever really get over the love of Christmas presents, even as adults? I think not!

brokenmouse Sun 15-Nov-15 19:13:11

Dc1 is a boy and dc2 a girl so can't pass clothes down

At 9 months DC2 isn't going to care if her t-shirt has dinosaurs on.

annielostit Mon 16-Nov-15 18:04:49

Take them back and go to a supermarket.or wear the dinosaur tee-shirt. Get her a Dolly for xmas and tell the grown ups Christmas presents are cancelled.smile

justwondering72 Wed 18-Nov-15 07:59:04

I think that once you've decided that you can afford to spend that money on something, you should ask yourself what your dd needs. As in actually needs. Not 'might look pretty in' or 'because I can afford it'. Mindless, pointless, consumption is an empty and damaging thing.

justwondering72 Wed 18-Nov-15 08:02:33

Apologies, that posted too soon! I was going to go on and say that, if she needs clothes, why not ask relatives to buy them for her? Or see what you can cover from hand me downs, keep some of the things that you can't and return the rest?

I am a total Scrooge these days. I dislike the excessive spending at Christmas, and I don't think that being able to afford it justifies the environmental cost of consuming the way that we do at present.

atticusclaw2 Thu 19-Nov-15 08:13:07

I dont think its a high spend for a child for Christmas but I would question whether she'd get better use out of something else. Babies grow so quickly.

Artandco Thu 19-Nov-15 08:25:44

I don't think it's a huge amount, but if your on a budget it is.

I would def be using some of your sons old clothes at least, the vests and tops you could return and reuse sons at least. And prob the hoody as I'm sure two 'girl' cardigans is plenty if you add sons old jumpers also

£30/40 per adult is too much also if your on a budget. I would talk to adults and say token gifts only between you all £5-10.

For your mother and sisters birthdays coming up I would also spend £10 each maximum.

MrsMolesworth Thu 19-Nov-15 08:34:38

I'd take them all back. And yes, put thought not cash into the presents for other adults at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now