Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My husband has left me with a large credit card bill

(9 Posts)
Annamaria10 Fri 13-Nov-15 10:29:36

my husband left me and my 2 girls at Christmas last year and I am struggling to pay the credit cards (which are in my name) Does anyone have any advice on how I can consolidate and reduce the interest?

MushroomMama Fri 13-Nov-15 10:32:06

Balance transfer to a 0% card failing that talk to stepchange debt charity they can help you loads

Allice Fri 13-Nov-15 10:36:58

Moneysavingexpert website is full of really good advice, really worth a visit.
Don't suppose there is any chance of him paying it back?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:24:16

Do you pay by standing order? how much are we talking roughly?.

Katymac Fri 13-Nov-15 21:27:10

I think Tescos have a CC with 0% for 20 months plus & 0 fee

But I can't remember where I read that, sorry

19lottie82 Sat 14-Nov-15 08:02:08

Consolidation may not always be possible and / or the best option. We would need more information to advise.

As someone else has suggested, pop over to the Money Saving Expert board and go to the "Debt Free Wannabe" page, they're great at advising people in situations like yours.

MsColouring Sat 14-Nov-15 13:30:53

Depending on how big they are you should be able to tranfer to 0% credit card and pay off a set amount every month.

Luxyelectro Sat 14-Nov-15 13:34:48

Can you afford the minimum payment?
If you have an option to transfer to interest free card then do that.
I think it's TIP that has a spreadsheet somewhere that shows how much better it is to pay by standing order rather then DD and how much money it saves. I'm sorry I can't link.
Maybe someone else can?
This is assuming you can manage the min payment though.

Manopaws Sun 15-Nov-15 15:59:12

Talk to pay plan if you are paying more than you can afford they will talk to your creditors and broker a deal where you pay what you can and the creditors will often freeze interest. They also stop the creditor contacting you it's a great weight off your mind and it's free.

I have been with them for 3 years paying a fraction of what I was paying but have just cleared all my depts £45000 at a reduced amount of £25000 but it does mean that getting credit for the next 6 years will be hard but to be honest I don't want to be put in that position again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now