Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Not sure which would be money better spent

(7 Posts)
Bertieboo1 Fri 06-Nov-15 14:30:50

We are due to have a small lump sum in the next few months from my dh's work. We have some savings and are thinking about two options for the money but can't decide:

1. A newer and larger car - we have 1 car, a small oldish Fiesta and now 2dcs under two, so really need more boot space in particular.

2. A conservatory - again due to our recent growing family we don't have massive amounts of room.

The car seems a more 'sensible' choice but I have zero interest in cars. Which would have the most impact on our lifestyle?

specialsubject Fri 06-Nov-15 15:28:52

how much travelling do you do versus time at home?

Bertieboo1 Fri 06-Nov-15 18:36:34

Good point. I use the car for travelling to work 3 times a week and mainly locally at the weekend. Occasional trips around the area/holidays in the country. Not a massive mileage every year. We are definitely at home more now we have 2 dcs!

dickiedavisthunderthighs Fri 06-Nov-15 18:55:09

Definitely the conservatory. You'll really appreciate the extra space and it will add value to your house.

senua Fri 06-Nov-15 19:03:22

Do the costs of a car and a conservatory equate? confused

Get a car now. Not an expensive one. Just newer and therefore more reliable and economical. You won't use all of the money, especially if you P/X.

Invest the balance of the money. You are not going to build a conservatory now, in the winter. Make a plan to top up the money by next spring/summer.

specialsubject Fri 06-Nov-15 19:26:47

cars do of course depreciate to zero - additions to houses may not have much effect on the value but unless they are swimming pools, they don't generally reduce it.

if you don't want to risk the money, don't invest it - scatter it round the current accounts to earn a bit of interest

Bertieboo1 Sat 07-Nov-15 16:54:26

Thanks everyone. I think we are leaning towards the conservatory as we will get more benefit out of it on a day to day basis. I guess the times when we will use the car boot capacity will not be very frequent and I won't be driving as much while I'm on maternity leave this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now