Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Setting up a new business and WTC

(5 Posts)
Mrdarcyswife Thu 05-Nov-15 13:06:48

Hi
Hoping someone can help here!
I'm setting up as a therapist and it will obviously take time to build a client base.
Initially I am working more than 16hrs a week, setting up the business/ website etc, but there is bound to be a lull once this is done as I start to build up work. How does this work with WTC. The website says I need to work an average of 16 hrs, but over what timescale? I'm confident that i will be in a few months time, but not straight away. Also I won't be working in school holidays

Also I have had an offer of gardening/ labouring work for a family member, so I could do this to make up the hours (and will be paid), but how do I prove that's genuine work when it isn't related to the therapy work?
All help gratefully received!
Thanks

TalkinPeas Thu 05-Nov-15 15:06:13

do not rely on tax credits as part of your calculation

donajimena Thu 05-Nov-15 16:56:01

Have you thought about becoming a limited company and becoming an employee?

donajimena Thu 05-Nov-15 16:57:05

Pm me if you like as I work in a similar manner

TalkinPeas Thu 05-Nov-15 16:59:08

the tax benefits of limited company only outweigh the extra compliance costs once turnover goes over around £35k

and as an employee of a close company, why pay 13.8% ERS NI when you do not have to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now