Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Job seekers allowance

(5 Posts)
TheLambShankRedemption Tue 03-Nov-15 01:06:51

Hi

I've been out of work for three weeks and found a new job quickly so start in 4.5 weeks. I have a signed contract. I've been granted JSA and have let them know that I have new employment from the outset.

Now they say I have to find a temporary job during the time until my new employment starts and I have to attend a group session on tips for finding work. Is this usual?

This all seems like a complete waste of resources; all temporary posts are Xmas or 3 months, contract work in my skill set is a minimum of 3 months but normally 6. By the time I see something suitable, apply and interview, I will have very little time in post. Even for a low paid job, who is going to invest training into someone there only 2/3 weeks?

I am happy to be told I am being unreasonable, this is the first break in employment in 25 years and things are different now.

Thanks

AnthonyPandy Tue 03-Nov-15 01:11:35

I was out of work a year or so ago, and right up to my start date of the new one I had to show evidence of job applications. Waste of my time, waste of their time. I wrote in my CV that I was only available until such and such a time though.

PatrickKeisler Tue 03-Nov-15 05:18:52

Good advice from Anthony Pandy. Just got to go through the motions, although it looks like they want you to go to job hunting courses as well, which is irritating.
Wonder if working temp jobs would keep them satisfied? Just do some internet freelancing, or odd jobs for friends & family, just until your new situation starts?
Hope it works out! Good luck!

TheLambShankRedemption Tue 03-Nov-15 11:01:13

Thank you for the replies.

It is the job hunting course that seems like a waste of resources for such a limited interim period of unemployment. Oh well back to box ticking I suppose.

pizzaeatingmonkey Tue 03-Nov-15 12:25:54

I've been job seeking since June and have never been told to attend a group session, or solo session, on tips for finding work. Intrigued to know what will happen when my job seeker's allowance finishes in January!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now