Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pension sharing fees - teachers pension help needed!

(4 Posts)
IASM Mon 02-Nov-15 20:00:36

Background is that stbxh and I are nearing the end of a divorce, and I am claiming some of his pension. As we are (or were) both teachers i had thought it would be a simple transfer of the amount from his pension to mine. I phoned them today to be told that to do this the fees are £2500+ VAT, taking it to nearly £3000. This is prohibitive and will mean that I am likely not going to be able to claim. Stbxh would also not be able to cover anywhere near this sort of fee.

So, what can I do? Is there any way around this? Obviously I have emailed my solicitor, still waiting for a reply. The woman on the phone said that it's a government imposed fee ('course it is!) so there was nothing else to be done.

Any advice?

mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 02-Nov-15 20:20:30

It's usually possible for the fee to be deducted from the pension money, so you are still paying it but you don't have to find the cash. Try asking whether that is a possibility. Also double check your pension sharing annex (form attached to the back of your consent order from the court) as that will say how the fees should be split between you. BTW your solicitors should really have explained that this was a cost that would need to be met....

Good luck.

IASM Mon 02-Nov-15 20:54:08

Thank you. I'll phone them again tomorrow and see if that is an option.

IASM Tue 10-Nov-15 22:21:03

It's not an option. The only one I have is to hope that he pays the fees (which he can't either). Otherwise I can't claim and can't sign any final clean break orders either in case I want to claim in the future. 'Tis all crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now