Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

pawn shop

(3 Posts)
eyemes Sat 31-Oct-15 17:08:32

i was a few weeks late pay for&collecting a ring when i was ill they sent my ring to be melted theey did not inform me they intended to do this i did not know till i tryed to retreive my ring can they do that if some one is just a few weeks late havent they got to let me know

Rockchick1984 Sat 31-Oct-15 19:43:58

Did u go in and tell them you were going to be late paying it? I've never used a pawnbrokers but I thought the idea is that if it's not paid for by the date you agree, then it becomes their property so they can sell it on or whatever they like.

LeBoob Sat 31-Oct-15 19:49:04

Hi, depending on your contract, yes they are able to do this. In theory any day past the expiry date is too late and then legally becomes property if the pawnbrokers. Presuming that your details were up to date with them (your responsibility) they would have sent you a letter two months & one month before expiry. This letter stands as their intention to sell/dispose of to recoup monies lent. It's pretty naff of them to have destroyed it so quickly, I would try contacting their head office to check if this is the case, or it's just what the branch staff are saying. Feel free to pm me if you need any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now