Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Finally feeling like you are crawling out of a hole

(8 Posts)
SmokingGun Sat 31-Oct-15 16:24:48

I'm feeling stupidly happy today. A few years ago I was in a huge amount of debt, including thousands owed to PDL companies. With the help of Stepchange I managed to pay off all the debt, and have managed to save the money I was paying to Stepchange after my DMP finished, so I have a little bit of security.

Today I decided to apply for a CC (only Barclay Card Initital as I still have some satisfied defaults on my credit report) and got accepted! I only wanted a CC so I had a bit of protection when making purchases online but for some reason it has made me incredibly happy.

It's just such a lovely feeling that maybe a morgage isn't as far out of reach as I thought grin

Bluecarrot Sat 31-Oct-15 17:16:31

Well done! You must have worked so hard. You must feel rich with all your money staying in your bank rather than on repayments!

Please do be careful with the cc though! ( When I got my first cc I opened a second account and transferred the money into it every time I spent on the cc, so on payment due date, it was all sitting there ready to go, and my regular account always displayed my real balance)

SmokingGun Sat 31-Oct-15 19:06:23

I'm only planning to use CC for purchases over £50 online (can't see that being more than once or twice a month) and I earn a good wage these days so I'm confident I can repay in full every month.

JeffyJeffington Sat 31-Oct-15 19:09:58

Well done you! What a great feeling smile

sedmed Sat 31-Oct-15 19:44:13

Well done OP! It's a wonderful feeling to leave all your debts behind you.

I got a credit card to rebuild my credit after I'd gone bankrupt and I've had no problems using it sensibly. It's good to use it simply as a method of payment (for essential spending that you'd do anyway) and then pay off in full monthly, as regular spending and repaying looks better for your credit rating and also encourages the cc company to increase your limit (which also goes on your credit record). I've had an offer in principle accepted for a mortgage so it's been worth the effort, and just goes to show your credit isn't wrecked forever.

SmokingGun Sat 31-Oct-15 20:30:12

Well done to you too Semed

Oly5 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:47:52

Well done and congratulations!

PatrickKeisler Tue 03-Nov-15 05:42:00

Congratulations! Such a wonderful feeling! I remember when my wife and I first started to get our heads above water. It was like a totally different relationship! Went from bickering and being constantly stressed out to mutual spa days (with Groupons and coupons, naturally) and discussing vacation plans over a nice dinner, once in a while. Sort of felt like Jay Z and Beyonce.
Congratulations again! You deserve it! Getting out of debt is NOT EASY!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now