Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self employment and tax credits

(2 Posts)
LovelyBath Fri 30-Oct-15 11:55:10

Hi, can anyone help me with something involving self assessment and tax credits please? Me husband is set employed and his tax year and self assessment runs from July to July. He's just completing his self assessor at the moment. However the tax credits go by the tax year, April to April. I'm assuming we estimate the income based on his earnings or profit from April to April? Many thanks.

cdwales Fri 30-Oct-15 16:20:12

Hi Tax Credits are not taxable income (though the new Universal TC may be treated differently) but they are calculated on income. It is tricky when you are self-employed as your income may well vary and not be that predictable. TBH your best bet is to go into your local tax office and sit down with someone who will clarify things so that you are clear what you need to do. For starters ring their helpline Tel: 0345 300 3900
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now