Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Marital finances

(14 Posts)
mightyducks Thu 29-Oct-15 17:18:21

Just wondering how people manage their finances with their partner/ husband? Do you keep your own bank accounts or does it all go in a joint account? Me and DH have always kept seperate bank accounts but it gets messy it terms of who pays for stuff for the kids.

avocadoghost Thu 29-Oct-15 17:22:57

Everything in one account. It's just the easiest way.

blueshoes Thu 29-Oct-15 19:03:26

Both of us work. Separate and joint. Our salary goes into our sole accounts. All household expense come out of the joint account. We each contribute an amount from our sole accounts into the joint account which is proportionate to our salaries that leaves us the exact same personal spending/saving amount per month in the sole account.

dementedpixie Thu 29-Oct-15 19:06:21

All in one account but I also have a sole account that i put a very small amount into monthly in case of emergency

sheenam Thu 29-Oct-15 20:27:13

DH and I have separate accounts as I'm happier with things that way. But I'm not earning so almost all the money in my account is just from DH transferring it over anyway. We don't keep tabs on who pays for what, it's just whatever is convenient at the time. Direct debits come out of DH's account, I often put online payments on his card, and if I run low in my account then DH just transfers more over.

annatha Thu 29-Oct-15 20:40:49

All in one for us. Started when I earnt a lot more than dh, now he earns a lot more than me and will soon be the sole earned when my mat leave ends. Only problem is you can't really treat each other as its all shared money anyway but it's lots easier for us.

PervyMuskrat Thu 29-Oct-15 21:55:41

Salaries go into own accounts and then both put an equal amount into joint account to cover mortgage, food, bills, childcare etc. What's left in our own accounts is up to us - we're both savers by nature but also have things that we like that the other would consider a frivolous waste and it avoids grumbling wink

KP86 Thu 29-Oct-15 22:02:04

Everything in joint account and we used to keep an allowance as personal spending money each, but but these days we are a bit more responsible so it all just comes out of the same account.

If either is going to spend a decent sum or something unexpected then we check with the other but generally I keep track that the balance is going ok and will cover known upcoming expenses.

LBOCS2 Thu 29-Oct-15 22:08:48

We have about 9 accounts and a very complex spreadsheet :D

Ultimately, it works out that we pay all of our commitments jointly and then have the same amount of 'free' spends each month, which go into our individual spending accounts and we can fritter on what we like smile

HormonalHeap Thu 29-Oct-15 22:18:35

One joint account for me to use for groceries, petrol, every day stuff, then dh has another one where utilities/holidays come out of, I also have a small one which my ex pays maintainance for my kids into.

PatrickKeisler Fri 30-Oct-15 08:06:44

With my wife, our main jobs go into one account, which all of our mutual expenses comes out of. If one or the other of us has some sort of special project or need that we're working towards, we'll save it on the side. Sometimes we collaborate on side projects. I'll save my money in my PayPal Account usually.
This helps save a lot of the stress and grief that can come from sharing money, while still being able to work towards personal goals. It's a pretty good system!

DaylightSnobbery Fri 30-Oct-15 10:08:43

All in one pot. Savings are different because we have Premium Bonds and ISA's in our own names obviously.

CatMilkMan Sun 01-Nov-15 19:30:13

Both have personal accounts and savings and a joint "house" current account and a joint credit card for bills and other stuff.

whooshbangprettycolours Sun 01-Nov-15 21:51:55

All in one pot. Spend in our normal pattern, discuss anything extra.

We have very similar attitudes to money so it's easy. We are equal, our money is family money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: