Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Request to Ex to increase maintenance payments

(8 Posts)
tinkiwan Wed 28-Oct-15 18:04:07

I am a single mum of 9 years and my ex has not increased payments for our 2 children throughout this time. We have an informal arrangement agreed through divorce mediation, but it has now come to a point that I cannot survive on the £200 per month that he pays me.

Does anyone have an example letters that I could use or wording I could send him to try and sort this out amicably before resorting to any agencies. He has failed to response to any of my text messages regarding this, but does text me on access arrangements.

Any help welcome

Many hanks

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Wed 28-Oct-15 18:09:23

Watching with interest. ExDP pays 250 and has done for the last 5 years, but has had several pay rises since then I know because he shoves it in my face but even so, by his last wage that I knew he was shorting me 200 a month, its probably a fair bit more than that now, and I've really struggled for the last year.

VimFuego101 Wed 28-Oct-15 18:10:22

Have you run the numbers through the CMS calculator?

tinkiwan Wed 28-Oct-15 18:29:30

Yes, I have. I had to guess his income as he won't tell me but it comes out at £260 pm

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Wed 28-Oct-15 18:53:31

ExDPs Aunt was in charge of Payroll when I went to the CSA 2 years ago and she completely bullshitted them and refused to set up a Deduction from Earnings. She did get threatened with court but they couldn't be bothered to chase it up properly. Back then he was supposed to give 450. I'd say based on what he's gleefully told me, it'd be about 650 now.

19lottie82 Thu 29-Oct-15 08:12:54

Ask to see his payments so you can confirm he is paying the legal minimum. If he says no tell him you will contact the CSA who will take the legal minimum from his salary as well as an "admin fee". His choice.

19lottie82 Thu 29-Oct-15 08:13:41

No offence but I don't think a "carefully worded" letter will get you anywhere here. He sounds like a dick. If he refuses just go straight to the CSA

PrettyBrightFireflies Thu 29-Oct-15 08:31:25

Has he had a payrise recently?

If not, then he may well be struggling to cope with the increase in costs of living just as you are.

A colleague of mine felt as you did and went to the CSA - only to discover that her ex had been laid off over a year previously and was in a lower paying job. He hadn't reduced CM payments, but there was no way he could afford to increase them to what she felt she needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: