Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

So confused, how/who/what do we do re child benefit for over £50k

(7 Posts)
Arrowfanatic Wed 28-Oct-15 08:44:40

Please help, I'm totally dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Hubby just got promoted this month so now earns just over £56k. Pension deductions should take that to under £50k but just in case it doesn't I know we need to tell someone to reduce the child benefit we receive I just don't have the first clue how???

He works for the police so we've never don't any self assessments. We want the deductions to come out via PAYE. I just have no clue what we are supposed to do? Does HMRC do this automatically, should his payroll do something?

Seriously I need like the idiot of idiot guides to help me work this out as the gov website just says about self assessments and needing to be done by Oct 31st but he literally just got his promotion and neither of us have a clue on self assessments or anything like this.

Help me, I'm drowning in a sea of tax jargon I just don't understand.

Oly5 Wed 28-Oct-15 11:25:33

Why don't you just opt out of getting child benefit? That's what we did rather than faff with self assessment. Look up child benefit on the govt website... Or give them a call

dementedpixie Wed 28-Oct-15 11:30:18

She would lose out if she opted out though as you only lose the full amount if you earn over 60k. If you keep taking the CB then your dh would then have to register for self assessment and would record the child benefit amounts on that.

It is up to you what you do but the options are to receive payment and then pay back some of it through self assessment or to opt out of the payment completely.

dementedpixie Wed 28-Oct-15 11:30:57

You can't just get a lower payment as it doesn't work like that.

LIZS Wed 28-Oct-15 11:34:22

He needs to register for Self assessment by calling hmrc but be clear it would only affect tax year 2015-16 onwards. They may pick it up themselves but the onus is on the taxpayer to notify them.

He would then need to complete a tax return this time next year on paper or by end Jan 2017 online. Tbh the amount to repay for this tax year is likely to be minimal as he will only benefit from 6 months of the new pay level and it is a sliding scale to repay CB between 50 and 60k.

Derbyday Wed 28-Oct-15 17:07:43

I'm on a tad more than that and after pension deductions it's just under £50k. I didn't realise pension was deducted for child benefit purposes so registered for self assessment stupidly. This year I had to fill out the form for no reason (couldn't get through on the phone to the tax office to unregister myself). Wait until he gets his P60 next year before registering as you might not need to.

Tornupinside Thu 29-Oct-15 08:19:23

Register for self assessment.

First of all you need to register for government gateway.

Once this has been done, you need to and 'register for services' within your gateway account. Register for self assessment.

When you go to complete your self assessment tax return, they will ask about your circumstances, employment status and do you receive child benefit, when you select employed there will be an option asking if you earn over £50k per year.

It is relatively simple! HMRC should have plenty of help sheets and you can always phone them for advice!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: