Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Working for a direct sales company

(76 Posts)
Millycw Tue 27-Oct-15 14:25:36

Hi Ladies! What are your opinions on working for a direct sales company that affords flexible working hours and working from home? Does anyone already work for one? Has anyone considered doing it?

ChammyIRL Tue 27-Oct-15 16:27:05

I foresee lots of fun answers coming this way ;)

I have worked for 3 direct sales companies though one was less than a week because the rep was too busy trying to get me on her team that she didn't disclose all the information until after she had left and gave me a "pack" containing things she failed to mention (and yes, I asked all the right questions). Another I ended up owing the company money because again they failed to disclose all the information I needed but I was naive with that one and didn't ask the questions I should have (it was my first one and 7 years ago now).

I currently work for one, I do it as a hobby at the moment because I enjoy it and it keeps me in free make-up ;) I don't earn a full-time wage for part-time hours...I earn pocket money (and free makeup) for hobby hours working around the current things I already do from home.

Direct sales is very hit and miss, some do great and some don't. If you do your research, go for a product you personally like using and go in with your eyes open to the fact that it just might not work for you then you are more likely to do well; or not be surprised if you don't.

lastuseraccount123 Tue 27-Oct-15 18:36:54

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2477031-MLm-bot-watch-now-including-Timeless-Vie

if it requires you recruit to your 'team', gives you vague answers about how much you actually earn, calls itself 'network marketing' or attraction marketing, or an MLM, run screaming. HTH.

specialsubject Tue 27-Oct-15 18:39:00

does this involve selling anything that actually does what it promises to do?

If not - look at your ethics.

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Tue 27-Oct-15 18:43:00

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Are you thinking about doing it, Millycw, or are you looking for recruits?

Millycw Wed 28-Oct-15 14:06:59

I'm thinking about doing it as I've got a couple of friends who it seems to be going well for.

lastuseraccount123 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:55:18

that's how they suck you in, by making it appear like it's working really well for them. fake it til you make it etc.

throwingpebbles Wed 28-Oct-15 18:05:55

They are taught to claim they are doing really well so you get sucked in as they make money out of each person they recruit

Don't do it! If you have an aptitude for sales then why now set up your own actual business selling something that isn't morally questionable. Don't get sucked in by their sales pitches!

ablackcatcalledjohohohohohn Wed 28-Oct-15 18:30:00

Run for the hills.

HTH.

ChammyIRL Wed 28-Oct-15 19:27:28

I actually hate the term "fake it til you make it"...I have many reps on my Facebook and I cringe because I can spot a fake post of their's (especially when 2 from the same company post almost identical ones within minutes of each other).

Not all reps are repetitive, annoying and out to scam others. I do look for people to sponsor but not because I want to make money off of them (at the end of day I need to do just as well as them to earn from them) but because I have a background in management and team leading which I genuinely enjoy doing - I like to help people. I actually got banned from NM's for helping people - nothing related to the company I sell for either.

I do believe that these companies work for some people and at the same time they don't work for a lot of people. A rep promising you the world and making claims that seem too good to be true are often just that so as long as you do your research into which company you are interested in and understand that it might not work out then there will be no surprises.

When I joined I knew there was a chance I'd just fail but if I did then the only money I had parted with grabbed me a nice box full of make-up which I actually use. Just so happens I've not paid for any make-up over the last 8 months, earned back my sign up fee and more.

Open your eyes, take time to research (find good and bad reviews/blogs/videos etc), know the products before you sell and talk to many representatives from the companies so you can compare information given

Tiredemma Wed 28-Oct-15 19:41:27

I know of a very stressed nurse who was recently lured into an MLM by another nurse (one who had lost her NMC Nursing PIN incidently....) Ex Nurse told Stressed Nurse that she was now earning 120k per year.
All bullshit of course and one that lured someone into a scheme that can not afford to be pulled into so much bullshit. Someone who is a bit vulnerable.
Fucking vultures.

mamaneedsamojito Wed 28-Oct-15 19:42:06

Scams.

lazycoo Wed 28-Oct-15 20:10:03

If you like the idea of guilt tripping your friends and family into buying whatever overpriced shite the MLM is peddling, and are unfazed at the fact you'll only make money by conning people into joining the pyramid scheme, this could be the job for you!!! HTH

AJFsmummy Thu 29-Oct-15 07:40:46

Love it Lazycoo.

Tornupinside Thu 29-Oct-15 08:06:26

Im a bookkeeper and a recent tax return client works for a direct sales company. From their Facebook posts you would think that they're absolutely rolling in it, the accounts say otherwise! smile

throwingpebbles Thu 29-Oct-15 08:24:56

Yes a family member claims to be making a real success out of her involvement in an "inspirational"MLM. In reality her parents are still bankrolling her existence (she is over 40) right down to all the treats etc she brags about buying for herself angry

throwingpebbles Thu 29-Oct-15 08:26:26

chammy if it's the company I am thinking of, the make up looks awfully cheap and tacky though? Monstrously overpriced?!

99percentchocolate Thu 29-Oct-15 08:27:01

I have two close friends who did one of the vague post scams - they were always talking about how much money they had and the great things they were doing. They confessed after a few months that they'd given it up because the targets were impossible to meet and they both actually lost money on it.
I'm quite open about doing one of the make-up brochure company's and making only pocket money from it. I only do it because I'm new to my area and it is a great way of getting to meet and know my neighbours. If you go in for reasons like that then you'll be fine, if you go in looking for money then you'll be disappointed.

ChammyIRL Thu 29-Oct-15 11:16:39

throwingpebble it depends on your point of view really. I've always used CHEAP make-up and never really got on with it so hardly ever worn it. What I sell now, I'd happily pay for even if I didn't sell it because it is much better quality and lasts. I've tried things like MAC and personally, I think that is overpriced and doesn't work with my skin. There certainly isn't anything cheap looking about it.

I have customers who are very loyal to the products I sell, who happily pay for it because they know they are getting what they pay for. In fact I'm dropping off one of our collections today to a customer who is stupidly excited to give the foundation and concealer a go, who is already planning her next order for over the weekend.

throwingpebbles Thu 29-Oct-15 11:31:26

I can't imagine getting "stupidly excited" over make up. But I expect that (probably accidental) choice of words is strangely apt

throwingpebbles Thu 29-Oct-15 11:32:11

(If it is the Y stuff that makes people look like they have deranged spiders legs instead of eyelashes anyway)

xenu1 Thu 29-Oct-15 11:42:17

And +100 to all the above (and check the MN MoneyMatters threads for MLM discussion and analysis.
Also, if the organisation pays you points for buying its products (PV, CC etc) avoid like the plague...

ChammyIRL Thu 29-Oct-15 12:37:25

The mascara does make some people look like they have spider lashes, yes...I actually sounded a lot like you this time last year when they were launching over here (my team found very negative posts from me on another forum after I joined - it gave us all a good laugh). I changed my mind when I looked past the over the top recruitment and I got to try the lashes for myself and they never do look spidery. I do love the mascara very much but the company is more than mascara. I have the newest liquid foundation which I genuinely love; even though I didn't think I'd be bothered about it. The eye pigments and cream shadows also.

I use all the products and I've not yet had one that makes me think...meh. But like I said, it isn't for everyone and unfortunately a large portion of presenters have spoiled it and tarnished the brand's name; I do hope over the years that will be undone.

I didn't get scammed into joining, I wasn't recruited. I did my own research into it all and then went to find my own sponsor which I spent a week chatting to a few before I finally picked the one for me. Like I said, I don't "fake it" and I'm always honest about what I do...I don't earning an income from it, I earn pocket-money and treat it like a hobby.

throwingpebbles Thu 29-Oct-15 12:47:07

Have you read the MLM threads on here though chammy I don't think anyone who had really actually thoroughly researched these companies would even contemplate joining! You need to get to grips with the MLM threads and understand the origins of and drivers for these companies.
<shudders>

trinitybleu Thu 29-Oct-15 12:48:24

Tacky make up and spidery lashes are all down to the application - you could do that with any make up brand ... given how many mascaras I've sold from people admiring my lashes (and all of them are age 30+ normal women with neutral make up preferences) mine definitely don't look spidery and neither do theirs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now