Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

John Lewis or M&S credit card

(16 Posts)
peppansalt Fri 23-Oct-15 11:55:43

Need a new credit card after having a Tesco one for years. We don't shop there anymore so club card points not much use.

We clear the balance each month so are mainly looking at benefits.

Can anyone recommend an M&S or John Lewis card?

SoupDragon Fri 23-Oct-15 11:57:59

I no longer shop at Tescos for groceries but this summer I got a free iPad with my Clubcard points!

ENtertainmentAppreciated Fri 23-Oct-15 12:00:38

I've got both but rarely use the M&S one now.

M&S send more extra points vouchers and random discount offers, but JL reward vouchers buy a wider variety of goods and can be used in Waitrose too.

I've had experience of letting vouchers lapse by accident (£40) M&S just said tough, but I also lost some unused JL ones and they compensated me.

peppansalt Fri 23-Oct-15 12:05:04

Thanks both! After reading up the JL card does seem more attractive

Daffydil Fri 23-Oct-15 12:07:52

We planned to get the JL one, but ended up with a barclaycard visa/Amex combo that have cashback instead. At the same rates as JL.

Worth having a look at MSE to see what the best deals are on cashback cards at the moment.

19lottie82 Fri 23-Oct-15 12:43:27

Will you pay the card off every month? If so look for a cash back card..... The interest rates aren't great but if you pay off within a month that won't affect you.

I have a capital one card and get 0.5% back, same as M&S give you in vouchers I think

peppansalt Fri 23-Oct-15 12:47:14

Yes it will be paid off in full each month. Do like thought of JL vouchers but cash back might be more useful

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 23-Oct-15 12:55:42

We have an Amex. Just back from 4 nights in Dubai paid for with avios points!

We basically use it for everything and pay off each month. It really mounts up

peppansalt Fri 23-Oct-15 13:01:45

Like the sound of that Gobbo! Sadly don't think we'll get enough usage from the card to pay for exotic breaks

Mrscog Fri 23-Oct-15 13:12:45

I've got £300 of JL vouchers I've horded - it's such a nice feeling to keep topping them up, knowing at some point I can use them on me/the house/possibly DC/maybe even DH!

FreckledLeopard Fri 23-Oct-15 13:17:40

I've managed to accumulate enough airmiles to fly two people one way Upper Class with Virgin to New York! That's only been two years' worth of use with my Virgin Amex.

Can't comment on M&S or John Lewis though, sorry!

SoupDragon Fri 23-Oct-15 13:19:01

That's how I feel about the Tescos points. I save them until they have a "boost" offer going. Previously I also used them to get free RAC membership and magazine subscriptions.

I never spent them in store.

ENtertainmentAppreciated Fri 23-Oct-15 20:06:39

Just to add that we have Amex card too. Don't use it as much to take advantage of the cashback really and it's accepted in less places because of its cost to the retailer, however, they do this great offer sometimes when you Shop Small. You opt in via the website and see where in your area accepts the card and for every £10 you spend you get a credit back to your account of £5 or something like that, might be more: it's really good anyway.

Their customer service is also very very good.

peppansalt Fri 23-Oct-15 20:48:36

Actually you've made a good point EN. Just realised that Amex isn't widely accepted so may not be a good choice for me.

ENtertainmentAppreciated Fri 23-Oct-15 21:39:39

No, not so good for your only card to be honest.

Allgunsblazing Mon 26-Oct-15 17:36:35

I recently got a JL one. I am more likely to make any significant purchase in JL than in M&S.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now