Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit checks when renting

(8 Posts)
etttvatre Fri 23-Oct-15 10:23:28

I'm about to go in and but a security deposit down on a flat to rent but am a little bit worried about the credit check.

I've got no CCJ's or bankruptcies on my file but a couple of defaults.

I've heard somewhere that they just check the public record but can't find it when I google!

Does anyone know exactly what checks letting agents do?

19lottie82 Fri 23-Oct-15 14:16:37

As long as you earn enough to satisfy the LA that you can afford he property, You'll be fine. All the letting agent can see is CCJs and bankruptcy, is information that is publicly available.

etttvatre Fri 23-Oct-15 15:42:39

Thanks Lottie, yes I've got a good income just worried about the credit check.

I hope you're right and that they don't check for anything other than CCJs and bankruptcy. smile

VimFuego101 Fri 23-Oct-15 15:52:09

They will probably see the defaults too, depending on how strict a check they run. Did they tell you exactly what agency they would be running the check with? How much do you earn in comparison to the rent? do you have someone who could be a guarantor?

When we last rented my husband's defaults did show up - but as he earned 6 times the rent every month and the defaults were old, they weren't bothered. How old are the defaults? Have you checked your credit record to see if they're even still there?

etttvatre Fri 23-Oct-15 16:11:59

The defaults are from last year.

I take home £2300 after tax and the rent is £800.

VimFuego101 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:22:17

I think you need to talk to the agent about their specific rules/policies. I would ask them exactly what the check is looking for, and, if it looks like they will show up, it would probably be better to forewarn them and explain any mitigating circumstances. Not least because if you pay an application fee, it probably won't be refunded if you fail their checks.

etttvatre Fri 06-Nov-15 16:29:57

Credit check came back ok! :-)

19lottie82 Sat 07-Nov-15 17:55:05

Glad to hear it OP grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now