Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefits when starting work

(5 Posts)
hfbb Mon 28-Sep-15 14:17:00

I've been on income support for the last few years and am happy to say that I will be starting a 6 month temporary full time job soon. At the moment I am getting IS, Child benefit and child tax credit, full council tax exemption and mortgage interest. I am paying back a budgeting loan from my IS too.

I want to know what happens when I tell the Jobcentre about my job. When should I tell them?
Does all my money get stopped straight away?
I am worried about the period between stopping benefits and getting my first wage. Also, I don't know when that will be.

I have no savings at all.

Babyroobs Mon 28-Sep-15 15:13:51

I'm not sure about when Income support stops but if you are working more than 16 hours a week you should be able to claim working tax credits as well as child tax credits if on a low income. I'm assumng you are a lone parent.

Uptownfuckuup Mon 28-Sep-15 15:16:11

imcome support will stop , not sure when
your council tax exemption will stop again not sure when

but you will be entitled to child benefit child tax credit and working tax credit

Everythinghappensforareason1 Mon 28-Sep-15 20:51:19

There is a 4 week run on of your benefits, so you mortgage interest will be paid and council tax, school dinners and income support will all be paid for 4 weeks after the day you start work. Once you start work you can claim for working tax credit immediately and any childcare costs if you work more than 16 hours

hfbb Mon 28-Sep-15 21:09:36

Thank you that is really helpful. I was worried about the having no money, especially for the mortgage and bills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now