Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Rebate

(7 Posts)
GasLIghtShining Mon 14-Sep-15 19:08:45

Have had a pretty generous cheque from the taxman. Trouble is too scared to spend it as from what others have said they seem to have form for deciding they got it wrong and then demanding it back.

I have stuck in the savings account but is there any time limit whereby after a certain date it's tough luck and they can't ask for it back.

gamerchick Mon 14-Sep-15 19:20:01

They do that with tax rebates? I thought it was just tax credits.

TheGirlFromIpanema Mon 14-Sep-15 19:26:11

do you only have paye earnings? if so it's likely to be correct, and yes they do this now :-)

Ta1kinPeace Mon 14-Sep-15 19:38:32

Is it a tax refund?
What is the reference on it?
Did you or your DH submit a tax return?
Are either of you on CIS?

GasLIghtShining Mon 14-Sep-15 20:49:10

Not sure if i am going to explain this properly.

It's connected to private pension contributions. We were told my DH employers that a refund/rebate was due as when you are in the 40% tax bracket you pay more than you should. Not sure how to explain it. Wrote to the taxman after being told to by my DH employers that he should be claiming it

gamer someone we know has a cheque for a fair bit. Banked it but kept it to one side to be told he owned them £600. He had rung to query the cheque and was told everything was correct.

Thanks for you rrplies

Ta1kinPeace Mon 14-Sep-15 20:57:52

Yup, OK, that makes sense.
Its yours to do with as you wish.

If in doubt, write to them (do not phone) to request confirmation of his tax account for the year in question as if they send it they cannot hassle you in future.

GasLIghtShining Mon 14-Sep-15 21:13:12

Thanks Ta1kinPeace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now