Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Applying for student finance, divorced dad, remarried mum, how do we work it out?

(4 Posts)
DontEatAnyFishTodayMaam Wed 09-Sep-15 14:31:16

Hi

DD is in Year 13 and applying for student finance.

I divorced her dad 15 years ago.
I remarried 12 years ago.
DD is NOT legally adopted by her step-father.

I've read on the WHICH website that applications for bursaries etc is based on the household income. However, I've also been told that I don't have to take into account my husband's income (her step-father) as he is not legally required to pay for my DD's university costs.

I don't even know where to start with this - do I just put in exDH's annual income and mine in the "household income" box?

I'm nervous that I might be accused of fraud in the future, especially as DH earns more than ex-DH.

Help, please! Or, at least, some pointers....

watton Wed 09-Sep-15 16:39:29

The Student Finance forms clearly state that the finance is based on household income - which includes the resident parent and their partner. So your DH's income and yours should be used on the forms. Your exDH's income isn't taken into account.

www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

DontEatAnyFishTodayMaam Wed 09-Sep-15 16:47:44

Thank you - sadly this is bad news but at least I won't end up in the clink.

OllyBJolly Wed 09-Sep-15 17:24:55

That's the case in Scotland.

DH had to provide proof of income for my DD, whereas XH was not asked at all. DH and I had only been married a year, hadn't lived together beforehand so conceivably might not even have known DD. (She had gone travelling for a few years and hadn't lived with us).

It does seem a strange system. XH is very well off and does contribute directly to DD but guess many students are not as lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now