Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self Assessment

(8 Posts)
Maegeri Mon 07-Sep-15 21:11:07

Can anyone help me with a question about what to include as total taxable income? I am self employed and have a contract where I sometimes have to purchase items on behalf of the company I contract to. For example, I write their newsletter, get it professionally printed and then post it out to contacts. Then when I invoice them at the end of the month I include a section for my hours (taxable income) and then list the expenses they need to reimburse me for such as the printing, stamps and envelopes. They pay me for my time and also for the goods and services.

My question is do I include the expenses in my total taxable income? As they are goods that I am paid back for I don't think they class as income, they are just costs I incur on their behalf that they pay me back for. Is this the case? I don't think I should include them on my tax return at all and that I should just document them on my personal records but just want to confirm that this is correct.

Maegeri Tue 08-Sep-15 11:48:02

Any advice gratefully received

Ta1kinPeace Tue 08-Sep-15 12:49:12

If he invoices are to you and then the costs are part of your turnover and expenses

Maegeri Tue 08-Sep-15 19:55:57

The invoices are from me to the company I contract to. I didn't think these items were turnover as they are things purchased on their behalf and paid back to me, so as such they aren't income?

alicemalice Tue 08-Sep-15 19:58:57

Yes it should be your own expenses you've incurred that you include.

Since you are reimbursed for these other expenses, they haven't actually cost you anything and so are not your own expense.

alicemalice Tue 08-Sep-15 20:03:25

However if it costs you something to buy these for your client, eg you went overdrawn and incurred interest, then the interest would be an allowable expense, I believe.

Ta1kinPeace Tue 08-Sep-15 21:18:09

If you bill ??1000 for your time and ??200 of expenses then your turnover is ??1200

and then in your expenses side you'll have the ??200 of stuff purchased and (say) ??100 of admin

Giving a profit of ??900 which is taxable

you are not allowed to net off because of grossing up rules linked to VAT requirements

Maegeri Tue 08-Sep-15 21:34:23

That's really helpful, thanks so much alice and Ta1kin as have been trying to work this out for ages

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now