Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can't get through to Opodo - cancelled flight

(18 Posts)
Sheetontheline Tue 01-Sep-15 09:34:37

I cancelled a flight in June that I would be making in september. I was told I was entitled to a partial refund. No refund emerged and I got an email from them yesterday about the flight and it's details. I've tried to ring again to cancel and try to get some money back but I just can't get through. The flight was nearly £1000 so it's a lot of money. Has anyone had this before from Opodo?

Opodo Wed 02-Sep-15 09:09:28

Hello Sheetontheline,

We'd love to check your case in depth and for that purpose we kindly ask you to provide us your booking reference so we can also contact you.

Thanks in advance,
James - Opodo Customer Care Team

rachhays Tue 03-Nov-15 13:21:25

Hi Sheetontheline,
Did you have any luck with Opodo? I've just found out I'm pregnant and due at the end of July next year. I've booked flights for me, my husband and daughter to fly to LA for my brother's wedding on 5th August, but obviously, I can't fly either still pregnant or with a days old baby. I contacted Opodo cancellation team today and was told I'd receive a £90 per person refund against £500 per person flights - minus a £25 admin fee per person. Almost in tears at my desk at work! It's bad enough I have to miss my brother's wedding but now I'm saddled with 3 flights I can't get (I'm told) any form of refund on. Completely disgusted and don't know what to do...

specialsubject Tue 03-Nov-15 13:54:41

have either of you contacted your travel insurers? The pregnancy should be covered if you didn't know before you took out the insurance.

sparechange Tue 03-Nov-15 13:57:36

Rach,
It'll be covered by your travel insurance, surely? Speak to them... They'll probably want a letter from your doctor, but when I was in a similar position, BUPA paid out straight away.
youll probably need to wait until after the flights were due to have been taken and then put your claim in, with the reason being you aren't fit to fly.

Don't cancel them now though, because they'll consider the issue resolved by the time you would have flown

specialsubject Tue 03-Nov-15 16:33:57

er....don't think so!! Travel insurers want you to minimise your losses, which means cancelling now. They'll be zero back from Opodo if you are a no-show.

but ring the insurers and see what they say.

sparechange Tue 03-Nov-15 17:16:09

special
BUPA refused to cover the difference between the amount I had paid for my flights, and the amount I got back, but reimbursed the full amount for me being a 'no show' at the hotel?

19lottie82 Tue 03-Nov-15 21:32:06

I can't see travel insurance covering pregnancy..... It's not an illness.

In fairness you can't expect the airline to refund you in these circumstances, it's not their fault, is it? And I'm guessing you picked the non flexible / cheapest fare?

19lottie82 Tue 03-Nov-15 21:33:56

Most flights aren't refundable unless you pay extra for a flexible fare. To say you're "disgusted" is a bit ridiculous. All of this would have been in the T&Cs you agreed to when you purchased the tickets.

I'm not meaning to have a go or be harsh here, just realistic. Sorry.

sparechange Tue 03-Nov-15 21:54:25

Lottie
You don't claim because of pregnancy per se
You put a claim in, with a note from the doctor, to say you aren't in a fit state the fly. That is caused by being post partum but is viewed by the insurance as being the same as if you can't fly because of an illness or broken leg or anything else that means your health prevents you from getting on the flight.

specialsubject Tue 03-Nov-15 22:08:10

no, pregnancy isn't an illness, but the OP can't fly on the scheduled dates because she will either be too pregnant or have a new baby.

Sparechange - that's not on. Get back to the insurers and argue.

lottie - correct, the airline don't refund. That's what insurance is for.

eDreams Thu 05-Nov-15 12:47:04

Dear Rachhays,

Thanks for contacting eDreams!

We are sorry to read your comments.

We would like to inform you that according to our Terms and Conditions, your ability to cancel or modify a booked travel product or service, and the method for doing so, will depend on the specific airline's fare rules or other Travel Supplier's terms and conditions. If your ticket is non-refundable, we may contact the airline to check if they can make an exception in case of pregnancy. Please note that we cannot guarantee any refund at all as the final desicion lies on the airline.

Please kindly provide us your booking reference code so we may check this for you.

We hope to be hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Lucy - eDreams Customer Care Team -

specialsubject Thu 05-Nov-15 15:22:28

are edreams your travel insurers?

sparechange Thu 05-Nov-15 16:53:41

special
Edreams is the parent company of Opodo

specialsubject Thu 05-Nov-15 19:24:03

OK. so what do your travel insurers say?

budinbloom Tue 10-Nov-15 07:06:27

We were able to claim a refund for the taxes charged on unused flights at half term with Ryanair which amounted to a 50% refund of the overall cost. We didn't have to 'cancel' either - all we had to do was to complete a form online after the flight dates and they processed the claim within 2 weeks.

budinbloom Tue 10-Nov-15 07:09:06

No reasons given since we had urgent work stuff so decided that it was more important than the holiday we booked months ago for half term. We just didn't turn up for the flights on the day and made the online claim after the event.

mightyigor Fri 10-Mar-17 15:30:10

I would like to cancel a flight with opodo as well but having spent 3 hours on hold (running up bills!) I just can't get through. I wish I had done some research on them before booking my flight through them. Were they helpful in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now