Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits grrr

(5 Posts)
Eviesmum6 Thu 13-Aug-15 11:45:41

Sorry if this has been asked/answered a thousand times but...
Basically I have claimed tax credits as a single person until July which is when I moved in with my partner and we got married. I have now been sent an overpayment letter which I assume is from the payments from April/May/June/July of this year. I thought I was entitled to this because my circumstances were the same as last year. At the end of this tax year am I going to get a letter from them saying I should have received Tax credits from April/May/June/July of this year?!! I doubt that. Anyone experienced this before? I tried to call them and they cut me off :-(

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Aug-15 12:49:48

Hi Eviesmum6 - we're going to pop this over to a more appropriate topic for you.

MumOfTheMoment Thu 13-Aug-15 13:21:01

No experience but presumably the total amount that you received in A/M/J/J is more than your revised total for the rest of the year put together. So I doubt you will get a letter at the end of the year saying anything.

sliceofsoup Thu 13-Aug-15 13:36:09

When I moved to a joint claim the same thing happened. It was an over payment of £165 from the period april-june (when I informed them of the change). They just took it out of my joint claim monthly when I called them to sort it.

You won't receive a letter about this next year, I don't really understand why you think you would. They aren't saying you weren't entitled to claim, just that the amounts they paid you were more than you should have received for that period.

Eviesmum6 Thu 13-Aug-15 13:58:15

My single claim has ended and my partner earns too much for a joint claim. I eventually have got hold of them and it seems that woman who took my call has ended my claim from the tax year not from the date that I rang them. Hopefully I am getting somewhere. thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now