Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will they backdate maternity allowance?

(9 Posts)
nolembit Thu 23-Nov-06 18:57:23

I just wondered if anyone knew whether or not it is possible to backdate a claim for Maternity allowance. My baby was born last December and I didn't realise I was eligible as I was employed until the end of May. I just assumed I wouldn't be entitled and now I find out that I am, I feel so stupid at missing out on all that money. Does anyone know if the benefits agency will accept backdated claims??????

Gem13 Thu 23-Nov-06 19:04:07

I don't think so I'm afraid. I've just sorted mine out and I'm sure there was info saying they would only backdate for 3 months. It's really not well publicised.

Gem13 Thu 23-Nov-06 19:07:58

Found this but it doesn't say if there is a 'closing date'

----------------------------------------
Claim as soon as you can after you have been pregnant for 26 weeks. If you claim more than 3 months after the date your MA is due to start you will lose money.
----------------------------------------

It's worth speaking to someone though.

whoopsfallenoveragain Thu 23-Nov-06 19:10:15

I'd give your local jobcentre a call I claimed later than it suggests but I hadn't had my baby by that point! They are more helpful than you think!!!

nolembit Sat 25-Nov-06 22:50:15

Thanks for all your advice, have contacted job centre and they have sent me out forms. They weren't hopeful but said it's worth trying anyway, I might get something.

Gemziewooo Mon 03-Nov-14 20:19:03

Hi what was the outcome I have applied late and waiting on decisionxx

bonzo77 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:20:43

Do you think I could claim for the baby I had in 2010?

Chunderella Mon 03-Nov-14 20:40:31

Doubt it. I've a feeling OP might be a bit too late even, but in her case it was worth checking. You can't usually claim for benefits you were entitled to several years ago. May as well give them a ring to double check but I wouldn't expect anything.

Chunderella Mon 03-Nov-14 20:48:31

Just noticed this thread is from 8 years ago so I have a feeling OP won't be back to tell us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now