Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Student loans company want details of support

(24 Posts)
georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 17:22:41

I am a sahm so currently have no income. Loans are from 1999-2002.

Have had a letter from the slc saying I need to give evidence of how my show supports me, including a signed declaration (fine) and copies of bank statements (don't see why they have to see dhs salary). Also have to state exactly how much I get (it's hardly an allowance so God knows what they want here).

Does anyone know if I have to provide this? I thought it was purely based on my salary , which is zero.

OreosOreosOreos Tue 04-Aug-15 17:28:34

I had to do this when I finished mat leave and officially became a SAHM last year. I just got DH to write a letter saying he was financially supporting me, but I don't remember having to send his bank statements?

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 17:30:24

The evidence form asks for my bank statement, but we have a joint account so obviously has all his salary etc on it. Just don't see that is their business.

OreosOreosOreos Tue 04-Aug-15 17:33:20

Hmm, thinking about it I may have had to send my statement, but I've got a separate account so just sent that.

badgerknowsbest Tue 04-Aug-15 17:33:42

Same as Oreo, a few months ago my dp sent a letter to SLC saying he was supporting me financially but wasn't asked to provide any evidence of earnings or household income.

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 17:36:54

To be fair they're asking for my bank statements but they're dh's too. Does anyone know if we have to provide these?

MarchLikeAnAnt Tue 04-Aug-15 17:38:14

I would send them the statements with everything bar your name blacked out grin

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 17:38:19

Sorry xpost. Wonder if I can send statement from dormant account that has no activity on it? Bet they won't like that!

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 17:39:38

I am tempted March!

Itsbloodyraining Tue 04-Aug-15 17:41:54

I have to do this every year, and dh just sends them a letter. Never ever any evidence needed from either of us. Please check again. Are you sure it's not either/or statement or letter?

Viviennemary Tue 04-Aug-15 17:43:02

I'd do as March suggests. Send in bank statement with every amount that you are not responsible for blanked out. Leave say the family allowance in if you get it.

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 17:59:55

This is what they're asking for

Itsbloodyraining Tue 04-Aug-15 18:41:22

Is it Erudio? I only have to send proof of child benefit.

It does say "for example" bank statement, is there a list of other suitable documents? I've thrown my last letter out, but definitely no bank statements. Hell no!

Itsbloodyraining Tue 04-Aug-15 18:49:10

The only thing I can think of is that his letter states that I do not have any of my own money. There is no allowance paid to him from me, he just pays for everything. So there would be no credits to show.

MarchLikeAnAnt Tue 04-Aug-15 18:52:31

I wonder what happens if you don't send any info? what can they realistically do?

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 19:36:53

Not erudio just the slc I think. Yes I thought that it says for example, so I wondered if a signed letter might do. It says on the letter if you don't keep your details up to date you're breaking the terms and conditions and if they have to take steps to get information you may have to pay it.

Itsbloodyraining Tue 04-Aug-15 19:49:26

Just give them a ring and ask. All my deferrals have been accepted. It's a bit of a "grey" situation to try and provide evidence for, but it must also be a very common situation that they are used to dealing with. My letter just states that dh pays mortgage, food, and any ad hoc spending for personal items. I'm not sure how you prove that!

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 20:02:45

It's not a deferral I don't think, I think that was the older system? Could be wrong. This one is just repay if you earn 15k I think.

Itsbloodyraining Tue 04-Aug-15 20:08:01

Erudio took over from slc and are taking a more proactive approach. I have both style loans. They wrote to me as soon as I came off the payroll.

georgedawes Tue 04-Aug-15 20:22:48

They're clearly fishing aren't they? I'm going to send a signed letter from shop and see how that goes.

NickyEds Wed 05-Aug-15 03:47:07

I'm a SAHM and just sent a letter from dp confirming that he is supporting me and that the support does not exceed £2000 (or whatever the level is, I can't remember). The loans were deferred without a problem. WRT keeping details up to date, I just think that means address, phone etc but most importantly a direct debit set up even if it's not actually paying anything out. I had an old account on mine and was told that it was a breach, it wasn't deliberate -I genuinely forgot to change it when
I closed the account.

georgedawes Wed 05-Aug-15 07:32:12

Thanks. I don't have a dd, but never did, loans were always paid direct from my wages. Think that is the older style loan?

I'll try a letter.

PoundingTheStreets Wed 05-Aug-15 23:37:42

I would send them a copy of my P60 and say they are welcome to contact HMRC to verify that I am neither employed nor self-employed and therefore have no income. It is irrelevant how you 'support' yourself. It's about your income. You have none. End of. They are fishing.

jamon88 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:34:10

Hello georgedawes
Just wondering how you dealt with this in the end? I am in exactly the same situation at the moment and like you, feel it unnecessary for them to see OH's salary etc. Was a letter from yourself sufficient or did you have to provide bank statements?
Thanks for any feedback you may be able to give me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: