Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will I wreck the relationship with my credit card provider if I reclaim PPI?

(5 Posts)
AmIReadingThisCorrectly Mon 03-Aug-15 23:18:48

Hi, I have an odd question - sorry! I currently have 2 credit cards, both of which have no balance but really good credit histories so the credit limit has been increased in them quite a bit over the years. One of them in particular sends me loads of offers each month asking if I want a massive 0% balance transfer.
However, I've just noticed that one of them has PPI on it which I wasn't eligible for as I was a student when I started the account and then during my working life, I've always had sick pay which would render it unnecessary, so I think I'd like to try and claim it back. The big thing stopping me at the moment is that I've heard that the relationship with the bank/lender can be really damaged by a PPI claim and I'm planning on making a big purchase on the non-PPI card and then using the balance transfer facility to pay the money back over 2 years with no interest. If the card is withdrawn or the credit limit decreased, I won't be able to do this - does anyone know if this is a possibility? Thanks for reading - sorry it's a bit long-winded!

RedHelenB Tue 04-Aug-15 13:57:12

How much have you paid out in ppi?

AmIReadingThisCorrectly Tue 04-Aug-15 17:30:24

Definitely a few hundred, possibly even a thousand over the years!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 04-Aug-15 17:35:35

No it won't ruin your relationship with them. The amount you can borrow and your interest rate is based on certain elegivility criteria, calculated each month automatically. The PPI reclaim will be dealt with completely seperately.
I work for a very large credit card company smile

RedHelenB Tue 04-Aug-15 19:35:54

might be worth delaying the claim until after you have got the 0% just to be on the safe side!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now