Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What to do when you have a cowboy plumber?

(8 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Pham Sun 02-Aug-15 15:02:21

Hi, I'm seeking for advice how to deal with a cowboy plumber which I've silly paid most of money and he only did half of the job. I agree with the quote of £4105, payment agreed £2400 by bank transfer to pay upfront so he can buy all materials and £1705 by cash on completion. The quote includes a combi boiler, 4 radiators, a towel rail, remove the old boiler, cylinder and the cold tank water.
25/7 he started and 26/7 he finished only part of the job but he asked for £1400 in cash to pay for the labour. He said he will come back to complete later and will take the rest £305 on completion. He also said that he would email to confirm he received £1400 from me in writing but he never did. The job he has done so far are putting boiler on the wall but not connected to main gas, putting radiators on the wall but pipes are not fully connected, disconnected the old boiler but not removed it yet, nor the cylinder. He still need to install the towel rail because he ordered the white one last week and promise to change to chrome one as agreed. Since Wednesday, I tried to call hundred times but normally reach his voice mail. He always has the excuse of being extremely busy so I couldn't speak to him over phone. He never reply my email or text me to confirm when he will be able to finish the job.
I am 33w+4 now and cannot do anything for preparation in the nusery room because the floorboard is still up waiting for pipes to be connected (pictures attached). I don't really know what to do now. Should I have another plumber in to finish his job or try to contact him again to sort this out. Or should I report him? If I have to report him, what I need to do or who do I need to contact?
Thank you very much.

MarchLikeAnAnt Sun 02-Aug-15 21:22:35

Bump*

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 15-Aug-15 13:11:45

Hi OP! You poor thing. Hope this is all sorted now. We just wanted to let you know we've edited the name and location of this plumber out of your OP. We don't doubt you at all but felt it was a little unfair as the tradesman in question isn't here to answer the points raised - and we didn't want to be the cause of any more trouble for you. Hope you've managed to track him down one way or another anyway.

Pham Sat 15-Aug-15 13:57:10

Hi Iona, its not getting many better at all. It's been 3 weeks since he should finish the job and the situation remains the same. I tried email, text but he always get back to me with a date and then fail to make it on the day because of so many excuses. It is not unfair to him at all, his name and location should be displayed on the post so other people can learn from my mistake of hiring such a guy for a big job.

Julieb85 Sun 16-Aug-15 13:20:10

I have literally just had a similar issue with a joiner. First things first - how did u hire him? Was he recommended or hired through a website? Id give citizens advice a call, they will help you draft a letter/email to him to formalise the issues...this letter will outline his repsonsilibities and your expectations of next steps. See if that gets a response...if not CA will help you decide on whether you want to pursue small claims court. CA and trading standards have been fantastic with us. It's a horrible feeling - dont blame yourself for handing over the money - you should be able to trust people.

Pham Sun 16-Aug-15 22:59:59

Hi Julie, thank you for your advice. I was recommended to use the plumber by another builder who has done quite a few good jobs in my neighbourhood. The plumber promise that he will come tomorrow. If he doesn't turn up, I will contact CA to bring the issue to formal stage. I hope your situation is sorted by now. Thanks again.
Pham.

Julieb85 Mon 17-Aug-15 07:37:04

In that case I'd also speak to the recommender and let him know - just so he doesn't recommend him again. Trading Standards suggest hitting them in the pockets but making it difficult for them to get work is the best way.

Pham Tue 18-Aug-15 07:01:45

I did talk to the builder and let him know. I guess this will be the last time he use this plumber. The plumber guy told me to come last Saturday then delayed to Sunday then delayed again to Monday but never turned up and didn't pick up the phone yesterday. I will go with Julie's advice, thank you Julie. I will talk to CA and trading standards today. This is so unfair for us and baby can come any time in the next 4 or 5 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now