Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where would you put £450,000 short term?

(31 Posts)
mrsdavidbowie Fri 31-Jul-15 18:07:51

In the next year or so my ex and I will be selling family home and i will have @ £450,000 to put away for a new house.
I will not be buying for about 2 years after that as I will be relocating..plan to rent.

What sort of account/ investment should I be looking at..I don't want it locked away for 3 years as I will need it when I buy.

AliceAlice1979 Fri 31-Jul-15 18:09:20

I'll look after it for you <unhelpful>

mrsdavidbowie Fri 31-Jul-15 18:11:12

We could have a hell of a party Alice

purplemurple1 Fri 31-Jul-15 18:16:24

How much risk if any are you willing to take with it? Would you consider funds, share, a btl?

If you plan to bank it make sure it is split between banks (not just accounts) so it is protected if the bank goes bust.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 31-Jul-15 18:19:24

In my bra, it is surprisingly capacious and there is definitely space beside my mobile and car keys.

SecretRed Fri 31-Jul-15 18:22:32

Lots of banks will temporarily ensure balances over £85,000 are kept safe. Regulation has changed slightly.

Preminstreltension Fri 31-Jul-15 18:22:55

Just agreeing with purple. Separate unrelated bank accounts (ie not Santander and Cahoot which belongs to Santander) with no more than 85k in each.

FadedRed Fri 31-Jul-15 18:26:48

Where would you put £450,000 short term?
On the favourite in the 2.30 at Kempton Park? grin

Preminstreltension Fri 31-Jul-15 18:28:15

Not sure what you mean secret. The bank can try to keep money safe but if they go down they cannot help - hence the FSCS which is independent. Have I missed your point?

ItsAll Fri 31-Jul-15 18:32:15

grin Perspicacia

Rockchick1984 Fri 31-Jul-15 19:36:08

I believe the FSCS will only cover £75k from January so you would need less than that in each company.

Personally I'd be looking at 1 year or 2 year fixed rate bonds, plus one instant access saver so you can get at some of the money if you need it.

or spend it all on shoes

mrsdavidbowie Fri 31-Jul-15 19:36:47

I don't want it invested long term as I have ex's pension pot invested.
Split between banks sounds a realistic idea

ladybird69 Fri 31-Jul-15 19:43:48

Is there any chance that you could keep the house and rent it out? You'd get rental income plus property prices are on the rise. Just a thought.

YeOldeTrout Fri 31-Jul-15 19:45:54

Split between 6 banks.

IsItMeOr Fri 31-Jul-15 19:50:20

Info on FSCS limits.

It's per person, so if you have a joint account, cover will be double.

Justyouwaitandsee Fri 31-Jul-15 19:53:40

£50k in tax free premium bonds?

Alanna1 Fri 31-Jul-15 19:54:08

I think you should go see a financial adviser! Me personally, I don't call 2 years "short term". London prices seem to go up about 10% a year! I don't know where you are or where your family are, but I'd personally buy a place in London with a mortgage too (as 450k itself doesnt go that far) which I could live in if necessary which I would then rent out. Short-term, which I'd call 3-6months, I'd probably use national savings bonds.

mrsdavidbowie Fri 31-Jul-15 19:57:07

I do have a financial advisor but have just been thinking about this. I'm in London but will be relocating in 3 years.
Definitely have to sell the house, and certainly don't want a mortgage.

purplemurple1 Fri 31-Jul-15 20:40:51

Id prob get a btl in the area you intend to relocate to so it stays relative to the local market. If anything is left over id get a fixed rate 2 yr bond.

Zillie77 Sat 01-Aug-15 00:26:28

I would keep it in a Vanguard (or other similar very low fee) money market fund. Easy access, low volatility, interest-bearing account. We have all of our savings with Vanguard.

specialsubject Sat 01-Aug-15 12:45:11

I'd ignore the yank spammer if I were you...

your immediate task is to get it safely split. That means no more than £75k in each banking licence (or £150k if a joint account). Not each bank, some share banking licences.

here's a list:

there are no savings bonds or savings accounts that outstrip inflation, and fixed rate bonds pay very low rates. You can set up lots of current accounts which will give you instant access and achieve on average 3%, but there won't be enough room for that much cash.


So park the rest in an instant access account at about 1.5% (subject to the banking licence issue). This also gives you flexibility if rates do go up.

the idea of a BTL in the relevant area is a possible but that brings the hassle and work of being a landlord, and you'll be doing well to return 3%.

if you want to invest (i.e take risk) that is different.

mrsdavidbowie Sat 01-Aug-15 12:54:54

Thank you so much for all your replies.
I definitely don't want to btl in area where I will relocate .

PennilynLott Sat 01-Aug-15 13:26:44

Ns&i will cover the whole amount if you don't want to bother splitting between banks.

Zillie77 Sat 01-Aug-15 14:17:37

If by yank spammer you are referring to me you are off base! I was suggesting a low-fee company where your money would be fairly secure. You could pick any company you like, I just mentioned the one I use as a convenience.

specialsubject Sat 01-Aug-15 14:22:47

but it is American (correct me if I'm wrong) and the money is invested, i.e at risk. OP wants safe, which means savings, not investment, and is British as she refers to pounds.

she doesn't need to pay any fees and NO share investment is secure. Not even 'fairly' secure.

if you are just a person, apologies, but it really stank of spam due to being such incorrect advice for her situation.

NS &I pay terrible rates.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: