Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Husband with terminal cancer

(11 Posts)
Findingthissohard Fri 31-Jul-15 07:42:53

The doctors have said my husbands cancer is terminal a she has months.
Absolutely reeling from this but what stuff do I need to do financially now? Planning on starting with updating will but no other ideas. Thanks

Findingthissohard Fri 31-Jul-15 07:43:23

He is 40 and we have two young dc if that makes any difference

ajandjjmum Fri 31-Jul-15 08:09:58

I'm so sorry - what an awful situation to have to cope with.

I am sure someone will be along soon who has some practical advice re. finances.

softhedgehog Fri 31-Jul-15 08:51:38

So sorry to hear this. If there are benefits that you are entitled to but haven't yet claimed, ask your GP for a DS1500 form - it is only for those with less than 6 months prognosis and will drastically speed up your applications. Hospital/macmillan nurse can do it too.

GemmaTeller Fri 31-Jul-15 09:00:29

Sorry for your news.

Apply for PIP, you are entitled to it for cancer and it is not based on your financial situation.
www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Findingthissohard Fri 31-Jul-15 09:05:08

I did look at PIP before but he didn't qualify. I'll talk to the team about prognosis. They have said months but it's all a bit new right now but I am aware of that.
Is there stuff I should be doing re mortgage, cars, savings etc and stuff in his name?

Findingthissohard Fri 31-Jul-15 09:05:29

Thanks for the help so far. I'm putting it on the list!

GemmaTeller Fri 31-Jul-15 09:36:15

Have you checked your insurance policies? Some have a clause that pay out early on terminal diagnoses.

Have you registered as his carer? They will come and do a home visit / come out for a chat and discuss how they can help support you both and get other support underway for you.
www.carersuk.org/

AutumnshadesofGold Fri 31-Jul-15 09:42:48

Try and speak to your Macmillan nurse who will guide you through everything. They are fantastic & really know their stuff. They will organise PIP & then DS1500 when appropriate and can point you in the right direction for advice.
I'm so sorry you & your family are going through this. Cancer is a bastard

justjuanmorebeer Fri 31-Jul-15 11:06:05

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through thanks

specialsubject Fri 31-Jul-15 11:33:26

so sorry for this awful situation.

as well as looking into entitlements and benefits, make sure you have everything in your name too. Sole-named bank accounts are frozen on death so you need access to money. Make sure the car, utilities and insurances are in your name, that you know all the passwords/online banking info and where all your money is. And that you know how to run any bits of the house that he has been doing.

the car in particular must be in your name as otherwise you may not be able to tax or insure it later, which will be the last thing you'll need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now