Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should have updated our will.....

(5 Posts)
20poppy14 Wed 29-Jul-15 22:11:00

.....years ago! Husband and I are off on holiday together at the weekend and I'm suddenly getting paranoid that we'll both die and leave our just-over 18 year old kids with a legal mess. Know it's really rubbish that we haven't been grown up enough to get it together to go to a solicitor and update our will properly and will do that as soon as we get home�� Thinking we should at least get something down on paper...say agreeing to leave everything to each other (if one of us makes it home!) ....and if neither of us does, that we agree that house etc should be split between the girls? Live in the southeast so house is worth @£600k, we both have pensions (not worth much sadly) and some savings (again not much) but with the value of the house it mounts up. If we do this, and get our signatures witnessed by two independent witnesses is it better than nothing ? Feel rubbish....! Thanks

vinoandbrie Wed 29-Jul-15 22:26:42

Have you any will in place at the moment? Feel for you, it's when you're off on a trip that this type of thing pops into our mind!

RedHelenB Wed 29-Jul-15 23:46:35

without a will the money would go to your children anyway - do they belong to both of you?

20poppy14 Thu 30-Jul-15 05:54:33

Morning! Thanks for the replies......Yep, we do have a will, but youngest isn't even included it's so old! The kids are all ours so guess that simplifies things.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Thu 30-Jul-15 06:13:45

I mean this nicely, but I suspect that there is probably more risk.to you both in the car on the way to the supermarket than.going on holiday (unless its a war zone!). Yes, it sounds like you do need to revisit your will but a poorly drawn up one can cause huge amounts of aggro. Maybe speak to.the solicitor who drew up the original and see what they say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now