Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Change of circumstances- benefits. Moving into together.

(8 Posts)
BirdOnAWire8228 Sun 26-Jul-15 22:15:12

Next weekend my dc's and I will be moving into my partners house. My tenancy on my current home ends on the Sunday and keys returned Monday morning. I'm currently claiming benefits. I know I have inform the benefit agency as soon as my circumstances change. As my partner is in a well paying career I will no longer be claiming anything. I would like to know when I should inform everyone? Has anyone got any advise or been in similar circumstances?

BirdOnAWire8228 Sun 26-Jul-15 22:20:56

Sorry I posted to soon. My fear is with moving and the dc's I know from previous experience it can take ages to get through to the different agency's. I plan to write to all the different departments, housing benefit, child taxes credits etc. would it be worth calling in advance this week to inform them when my circumstances change? Or would that likely complicate things? Tia.

rufflemac Sun 26-Jul-15 23:47:48

When I moved in with DH I just typed up letters to all the different departments in advance, notifying them that I wanted to end my claim and posted them by recorded delivery the day after I moved in. I got a bit of an overpayment due to the time for postage and for them to get it on their system, but I just didn't spend it so was able to pay it back. I stopped all my benefits except child benefit although DH earns too much for us to keep it, but it's worth keeping it for the NI credits.

There wouldn't have been much point in notifying them in advance as they will only take action once a change has occurred. They allow quite a bit of time to allow you to notify them (about 28 days I think) so there's no need to worry about penalties, they will just expect to be repaid anything past the date of moving in.

BirdOnAWire8228 Sun 26-Jul-15 23:59:07

Thank you. It's been a worry of mine for weeks!

Athenaviolet Mon 27-Jul-15 00:29:23

You have to tell hmrc for tax credits within 28 days/ a month. Your current claim will end and you will have to make a new claim as a couple.

Try to do it all ASAP as you will run up overpayments which can be stressful to pay back.

Is your housing situation going to be secure moving into your dp's house? If you aren't in the lease/deeds he can kick you out at any time without any notice.

BirdOnAWire8228 Mon 27-Jul-15 06:14:13

I have every intention of sorting out it in the couple of days. I don't want to be over payed or increase any risk of not informing them sooner enough.

ChesterCake Mon 27-Jul-15 12:27:20

I've just done this, I phoned every agency the day moved in (28th may) and went into tell housing benefit.

Please be prepared that it has taken tax credits until today to send me a payment so it's a very long wait at the moment!

BirdOnAWire8228 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:07:52

Thank you ChesterCake. We currently don't have a landline at new address. I was hoping I could pre-empt calling them on move in day. Kids and a dog and hundreds of boxes sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: