Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

in debt, 8 defaults, see no way out!

(10 Posts)
Rhian2710 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:13:38

Hi everyone

Any advice or help would be great

I am in about £6000 worth of debt I lost my job and couldn't afford to pay anything I did something stupid and ignored the letters etc and now have defaults and one ccj two of defaults I did not know of. One of the debts is a overdraft from a joint account and they say it's not responsibility to pay and I get all the letters surely they should be paying it.

Anyway I see no way out of the defaults I have two children and this affects them too I don't know what to do I can't even get a very interest credit card to help build my credit rating I would like to be able to get a mortgage in the future but I see no way I could ever get out of debt from being so silly when I was younger

Please help thank you!!

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 26-Jul-15 16:15:29

Can't offer any help, other than could you go to the CItizens advice Bureau and ask for their help.

Not sure I understand the last sentence of your first paragraph.

NapoleonsNose Sun 26-Jul-15 16:17:35

Contact one of the fee free debt counselling services - StepChange, Payplan are a couple. They will go through you income and outgoings with you and work out a manageable payment plan, liaising with your creditors on your behalf. Defaults are not necessarily a bad thing either. After six years they drop off your credit file and are erased.

Rhian2710 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:19:44

Sorry i meant to say they say they have no responsibility in paying back the overdraft on the joint account but surely if it's a joint account they do! Thank you

noisytoys Sun 26-Jul-15 18:38:19

If you can't afford to pay the debt you have I can see why you can't get any more debt. Contact stepchange or a debt charity who will be able to help. I wish debt wasn't so easy to get into and so hard to get out of sad

Rhian2710 Mon 27-Jul-15 00:48:36

Thank you yes it is so easy when your young and silly and don't understand what missing payments can do to the future. I am going to see cab tomorrow thank you

jevoudrais Mon 27-Jul-15 08:30:38

Forget about getting a credit card to build up your credit rating, you need all of the debt gone before you even consider trying things like that. CCJs and defaults have a big impact, applying for further credit is likely to make the situation worse long before it gets better.

As recommended I would contact some of the debt charities ASAP. They can talk you through various options such as DMPs, IVAs and bankruptcy if you really can't pay it back. In terms of mortgages further down the line the bigger deposit you save the better (preferably more than 10%), and you will probably have to wait a few years for things to drop off your credit file before being considered.

Top priority is to get rid of the debt, I've heard good things about StepChange but don't be afraid to get advice from more than once place if you don't think it sounds suitable for you.

Rhian2710 Mon 27-Jul-15 23:18:08

Thank you jevoudrais I am going to contact them as soon as I can

GingerCuddleMonster Mon 27-Jul-15 23:28:26

Hi didn't want to read and run.

you must clear the debt first. If you can't clear it then I would seriously look at getting it written off. co tact StepChange they are by far the best debt charity as they will help you with every step.

if your looking at getting a mortgage then you will have to wait a minimum of 6 years for those defaults and ccj's to drop off.

It a not impossible to 're build a credit score. It just takes time. thanks

TalkinPeace Tue 28-Jul-15 14:41:52

Speak to Stepchange and the CAB.
cut up any and all cards.
Set up standing orders for the current minimum amount and cancel the direct debits
and then sit down and take a cold hard look at your numbers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now