Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Have been sent someone else's tax credits info???

(11 Posts)
BelleBoyd Fri 24-Jul-15 14:18:14

I received a letter querying my single tax credits claim as I'm married but seperated..anyway I've been getting the documentation together HMRC asked for and was about to send it all off.
Then today I receive a bundle of someone else's financial and personal information with a letter with my name and details on saying they've checked my award and no amendments need to be made!
Really weird one this...
What's up with this? i know its a mistake having all this other persons info but do they really mean my award doesn't need to be amended. Don't want to ask them if they are sure in case they change their mind?!
Anyone else had this?

GrumbleAboutThings Sat 25-Jul-15 17:16:33

Was is HMRC or concentrix?

BelleBoyd Sat 25-Jul-15 19:25:09

HMRC

GrumbleAboutThings Sun 26-Jul-15 13:41:36

Well you need to give them that person's stuff back, so I don't think you have a choice.

Not fair to keep it.

CocoberryBlue Sun 26-Jul-15 16:21:18

You need to return the other persons information.

BelleBoyd Sun 26-Jul-15 20:23:35

Yes I wiil return it. I just wondered if ithis had happened to anyone else before?

Slimmerforsummer Mon 27-Jul-15 00:37:06

Um... What if the person has your info? :/ I'd be really peeved if I were you!

BelleBoyd Mon 27-Jul-15 06:05:17

It's only photocopies of bank statements etc. Just proves to me what a mess HMRC are in. But as I said was wondering whether anyone had got a letter saying their award was fine by HMRCs mistake...

Koalafications Mon 27-Jul-15 06:11:32

It's only photocopies of bank statements etc.

That's pretty significant!

lizzywig Mon 27-Jul-15 20:16:06

That's a major breach of data protection. In your shoes I would return it but also contact the person who's info I had been sent so that they were fully aware. I wouldn't trust that hmrc would tell them, but that's just me! I would caveat that by saying the person may not wish to communicate with you are may be wary as to whether you are being truthful.

morezone Mon 27-Jul-15 20:32:03

I'd report it to the Information Commissioner's Office as a breach of data protection.

ico.org.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now