Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

It's probably too late to get a working tax credit form, isn't it?

(9 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Thu 23-Jul-15 07:47:58

DD is 3, and we'd lived abroad from when she was very small until last summer. I'd been confused about the various tax credits - I think I got child tax credit and working tax credit mixed up, and TBH I'm still not clear on the difference - but something a friend mentioned in passing yesterday made me realise that we might be eligible for WTC? (DH earning under 40k, I'm SAHM.)

It's probably too late to get the form in time to apply for this year, though, isn't it? If I don't apply by 31 July, is that it for a whole year? Or does that only apply for renewals? And how can a supposedly intelligent woman be so effing inept when it comes to this sort of thing?! hmm

BabCNesbitt Thu 23-Jul-15 07:48:30

(Oh, DH isn't British, and he's here on work visa - would that make a difference?)

Superexcited Thu 23-Jul-15 07:49:48

You have one child and your DH earns £40k so you will not be entitiled to any type of tax credits. You are way over the threshold.

Superexcited Thu 23-Jul-15 07:50:45

You are probable entitled to child benefit though as long as you are not claiming any in your DH home country.

Floundering Thu 23-Jul-15 07:58:51

Ring them up & ask, they can do it over the phone, but be warned it's a long wait !

Think the upper limit is £32 k income.

BabCNesbitt Thu 23-Jul-15 08:02:47

Ah, I misunderstood - I thought I saw something online somewhere (CAB site?) that said the limit if you had one kid was about £41k (he's under £40k) but I was googling at 5am, so. That's why I didn't look into it before - assumed we were over.

We do receive child benefit, though. That's straightforward enough for me.

Reginafalangie Thu 23-Jul-15 08:56:15

Turn2us can guide you on which benefits you can claim for however I think on £40 k you will not be able to claim anything. It is a very good salary in my world and I couldn't imagine needing to claim benefits if I earned that much.

Rockchick1984 Thu 23-Jul-15 12:15:58

If you both worked and pay childcare, the cut off for WTC help with childcare costs is around £41k household income. As you are a SAHM you wouldn't be eligible, sorry.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 23-Jul-15 20:21:04

Yes it's WTC for childcare only on a 40k salary. If you are a sahm you would also have to be disabled or a carer to claim with just one parent working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now