Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Stepchange - creditors still contacting me.

(4 Posts)
Coco0123 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:23:00

I have set up a DMP with Stepchange around 6 wks ago. All creditors have been contacted by Stepchange and I've made my first payment 2 wks ago to Stepchange. Keep getting texts from credit card, catalogue is sending me arrears letters etc.

One catalogue have sent me a letter weeks ago accepting the lower payment from Stepchange but it's as though the other creditors (2 credit cards, 1 loan and other catalogue) have either just not acknowledged it or just persistent to chase me for more.

Is anyone else on DMP with Stepchange? What's been your experience - should I just ignore these letters/calls, get in touch with these creditors or Stepchange about it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bellabutterfly2014 Thu 23-Jul-15 06:56:41

Hey Coco, I did some admin temping for citizens advice and seem to remember that this cropped up - not just with step change but other organisations too.

Step change will have written to them all but I think sometimes it takes a little time for them to update their systems.

I would contact stepchange and explain you are still getting direct contact from them and ask what they advise - I'd do this ASAP so you aren't worrying about it and keep a note of times & dates of text alerts and send stepchange copies of any emails/letters you get so they are aware.

Good on you tho for getting onboard with stepchange - keep making the payments and it will all become a lot more manageable and less stressful for you.

Coco0123 Thu 23-Jul-15 17:35:49

Thanks Bella for that. Yes, I suppose it will take some time to be all properly in place, thanks for your advice. It has been a huge weight off my shoulders and there is light at the end of the tunnel smile

Bellabutterfly2014 Fri 24-Jul-15 07:04:14

Hey Coco - you've done the hardest bit by addressing the problem. It is a scary thing to tackle and sometimes people are very negative towards debt situations and don't understand. I remember seeing some really upset people at citizens advice and it's the busiest area of the service or it was where I worked. You are not on your own it affects hundreds of people for all sorts of reasons, relationship breakdowns, bereavement, redundancy, and even people who become unwell and end up on stat sick pay or benefits.

Another thing you could do (although I'm sure stepchange will have done this already) is write to all creditors, just a simple letter with your name and address on and

"Re: Account Number/ Customer Ref xxxxxxxxx

Please be advised I am now working with Stepchange on a debt management plan.

Please refer all future correspondence to xxxxxxxxx (then name of your advisor, address, email and phone number).

I would be grateful if you could write back to me to acknowledge receipt of this letter and confirm you have updated your records.

Thank you for your co-operation

Signed you

Then cc copies of every letter to debt change (obviously not the ones who've already written to confirm!!!) but check with your advisor first but that's what I would do.

You're right - there is light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be this week, this month or even this year before you get it all sorted but you will do and it'll be the best feeling ever!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now