Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Starting college in August and worried about finances

(4 Posts)
kegsahoy Tue 21-Jul-15 23:49:44

Currently I receive Income Support for myself and Carers Allowance for looking after DS plus I receive Child Benefit and Child Tax credit for my three DC. I'm starting an HNC in August and I have applied for the maximum Student Loan, Student Bursary and Lone Parent Grant. I know that as a full time Student I will no longer be entitled to Carers Allowance but was wondering if anyone knows if I will still be able to keep claiming Income Support as I will still have a low income.

I've tried to use Benefit Calculators to find out but none are suitable for students as don't take into account Student Loans etc.

TIA smile

AndNowItsSeven Tue 21-Jul-15 23:53:52


AndNowItsSeven Tue 21-Jul-15 23:54:45

So if they are counted as " income" you can't also claim income support.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 21-Jul-15 23:55:48

Links say ni but 90% of the time they apply in England. Do check just to be sure though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: