Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Transferring money from credit card elsewhere

(5 Posts)
EdSheeransGString Fri 17-Jul-15 21:06:38

I'm asking on behalf of my mum.

She's in hospital just now and basically needs to transfer money from her credit card into her current account. Bank of Scotland have said the only way she can do this is by going into the branch, withdrawing the cash and then putting it into her account.

Is there any other way she can do this? Perhaps using PayPal and transferring it to me or my dad?

She doesn't have Internet banking, just telephone banking who can't help.

Thanks.

Fairylea Fri 17-Jul-15 21:09:24

Not all credit cards let you do a money transfer, normally it's just a balance transfer from one card to another. You also have to be careful of the interest rates - unless it's an offer money transfers often have high rates of interest.

If she's not a huge rush I'd apply for a virgin or mbna card - you'd need to check but the last time I looked they had 0% deals on money transfers to a current account.

EdSheeransGString Fri 17-Jul-15 21:15:49

Thanks it needs to be done within the next couple of days. She gave my brother a substantial amount of cash out of her current account and he was supposed to put it back when his loan came through but he isn't getting the loan now so she is kind stuck with no cash in the current account and several thousand on the credit card with direct debits waiting.

I will have to see if the hospital will allow her out for an hour or two

TalkinPeace Fri 17-Jul-15 22:12:41

does she have no other account she could use
as cash withdrawals on credit cards is the most expensive way of getting money

Rockchick1984 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:39:22

Can the telephone banking team not apply an overdraft to her current account? That would be a much cheaper and easier solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now